Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

Good books

I am looking to get at least one new book in the next couple of weeks and was looking for some recommendations. I looked at one yesterday by Dave Hughes, Trout Flies:The Tier's Reference. Any thoughts on this book?

I am looking for a good book with good photos of flies and well done commentary.

Fred there are a TON of books that we could suggest but i'll tryin name just a few of the ones i like...but what type of flies are you looking for the book to cover? i'm guessin trout dries,numphs etc..from what you said.

The benchside reference is a awesome book but i think its a bit pricey if i remember around $60 or something like that...but its worth it.

Dave Huges wet flies book is a book i picked up on the suggestion from Ralf and this book is AWESOME if you are interested in good flies/commentary on these patterns.

Orvis makes a book and i cant really remember the name right now but its something like "orvis fly reference" or something like that, i dont have the book but a friend does and i was pretty impressed with it when i looked through the patterns and the step by steps they showed.

SD

Does anyone own Dave Hughes book "100 Essential Trout Flies"? I'm thinking about picking it up after work today but haven't actually seen yet.

You have two books by Randall Kaufmann that are pretty good that'll help out alot with good pictures and documentation. Tying Dry Flies and Tying Nymphs (think those are the two titles).

I have both, and though I don't tie trout flies, they are a good resource for some of my steelhead flies.