Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
simmons_j_m

Anyone tied a Spicy BWO

I found a video for a Spicy BWO nymph that looked pretty cool...

Spicy BWO

Problem was I didn't have two main materials this guy used. No synthetic quill, Coq de Leon... so I played around with some green ultra wire (in place of quill) and some duck feather (or so I think, thick stem, but loose in bag and given to me... no id). This is tied on a size 16.

post-25438-1267167342_thumb.jpg

I've been tying about two weeks now and the best part to me is the ability to be creative at the vise... let me know what you think (I can take constructive criticism) and I'll let you know what the fish think tomorrow... :lol:

The fly looks relatively OK, though I would change the proportions a bit. the tail is too long and body too fat (especially at the tail; you want a conical, not cylindrical shape).

The video of the Spiced BWO has the look of a sales pitch for new materials. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you realise that they are not essential for the pattern to work.

In my humble opinion Coq de León is a premium dry fly material, using it in nymphs is waste; any rooster of greyish color will do. The best for this style of nymphs is el cheapo Chinese. You can very easily substitute the olive quill by building the body from thread and adding a drop of tying lacquer (use lighter olive color, it will darken). For ribbing use the thinnest copper wire you have; the best is from old transformers (that is what Mr. Sawyer used, so ton of tradition associated).

Jindra

I found a video for a Spicy BWO nymph that looked pretty cool...

Spicy BWO

Problem was I didn't have two main materials this guy used. No synthetic quill, Coq de Leon... so I played around with some green ultra wire (in place of quill) and some duck feather (or so I think, thick stem, but loose in bag and given to me... no id). This is tied on a size 16.

post-25438-1267167342_thumb.jpg

I've been tying about two weeks now and the best part to me is the ability to be creative at the vise... let me know what you think (I can take constructive criticism) and I'll let you know what the fish think tomorrow... :lol:

So, that's definitely a good start for only having two weeks under your belt. I agree with Firetiger, slim down the body. Try smaller diameter wire. When wrapping bodies (whether wire, biots or quill or whatever) with material that needs to lie flat on the hook, make sure to use a thread that can wrap flat on the hook. I use UTC 70 or GSP 50 when doing flies in the sub-#12 range. Then just make sure you get each wrap snuggled up and flat against the previous one.

Anyway, just a little tidbit on that...good luck!

For 2 weeks thats aweome.One thing you will learn about fly tying is,your flies don't have to be perfect to catch fish.In the 15+ years i have been tying i have went from trying to get everything perfect porportion wise,to just hurrying and throwing it all together.And then back to trying to be perfect.I agree proportions r very important.I will leave you with this thought.My favorite fly now is nothing but a cdc fly.Thread-hook-and cdc.It doesn't look like miuch.But on my home waters,it KILLS.I caught 57 trout in 2 days last summer on this one fly and it takes about a minute to tie.Keep at it and you will see what i mean.that fly will fish.I've caught trout on flies that didn't look half as good as that.

Good job and keep at it.

shane

That fly will fish great. Coq de Leon is available in hen hackle, and that's probably what is being called for in the recipe, but your material sub was a nice choice, in my opinion. CdL tends to be dark, though not always, and has some spectacular mottling. Mallard and wood duck have fine regular barring that creates the illusion of leg segmentation, wing veins or body scales quite nicely depending on the application. You are doing great!

Thank you all for your feedback... it is greatly appreciated. I will work on slimming the body down and creating that tapered look. I didn't get out to fish it today... but hopefully this weekend for sure.

you are doing pretty good for only tying for two weeks! and i think the fish will approve of it! just shorten the tail and make the body conical like firetiger said and even up the tail!

iso18 has a great piece of advice , I've tied flies that were perfict and didn't catch a fish and had flies that I thought were the biggest piece of crap I've ever tied and caught fish.

For tying for just 2 weeks simmons your doing great.

Just one piece of advice I have for you and every new and old tier . Tie at least one fly a day to keep your fingers in practice.