Fly Tying
Hairstacker

Deerh Hair Diver

Great looking fly, Hairstacker. I lover the colors and the tight packing is excellent. I also wondered about your trimming of the hair on the colllar and back of the fly, something I've never done. What parts of the Delta do you use these flies if you don't mind my asking? I fish Whiskey Slough most often, sometimes Whites Slough, any recommendations for me as I look to fish some other productive areas?? Thanks.

Tom

Nice tie! I learned a ton from the video. Have you ever tied with reindeer at all. I got some that was from a craft shop in vancouver that had received some tanned cuts from where they make the plush stuffed dogs. I never knew they used it for that purpose. needless to say I was quite happy to get some.It spins and packs easier than deer I find. The best deer is the belly hair from a fall or winter deer. elk works well too. That haur is very nicely packed.

marc

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the very kind comments!

Thom -- you are too nice and I really appreciate your comment about the deer hair Tap's Bug -- as you know, that fly pattern remains a fond favorite of mine and I've just had too many good times with it. As great a fly as the deer hair diver is, there have truly been times when I didn't start getting into fish until I switched to a deer hair Tap's bug. I never leave home without a couple in the box and I think it should be in every flyfisher's bass arsenal.

Tom -- I'll send you a PM regarding fishing the Delta, as I hate to broadcast that kind of stuff. :lol:

Marc -- No, I've never tried reindeer and I don't believe I've ever seen a fly tied with it -- do you have a fly tied with it you can post? Does it look or fish any different? It does sound interesting, although I don't believe I've ever seen it for sale anywhere. Nice thing about deer hair is it's pretty inexpensive, it comes in a bunch of colors, and everyone carries it. In any event, if you've crafted some bugs out of reindeer, I'd venture to say you have a pretty exclusive collection of flies. B)

-- Mike

Another fantastic bug, Mike. You're a natural at the deer hair creations. Being mostly self-taught I can appreciate the time and "trial and error" that goes into deer hair. Great work, man! And about adding eyes...It has always seemed to me that eyes "completed" the fly for me, not the fish. I love adding eyes, but the smallies and LMBs seem to not be capable of caring any less than they already do. If eyes will mess up the fly's overall "mojo' (and yes, flies have a certain mojo), then LEAVE THEM OFF! Tight lines and tail walkin' , man!!