Fly Tying
Cheri

Great 3 Days at Sowbug Roundup!

And the fishing was outstanding too!! Had snow storm caddis hatches every afternoon. Today we have a real snow storm! Anyway great tiers, great speakers and loads of trout caught and happily released.

I spent all 3 days helping a friend of mine work his booth. It was the Wishes and Fishes booth across from the kitchen. My friend may have to re-think that location. Being that close to the kitchen "eats" into his profit. :blink:

Mike

I tied all day Friday and Saturday. I may have met you, but I met so many people I cannot remember. I was tying next to Tony Spezio on Friday. The ride home with the rain was tough. I didn't take any pictures, but my friend I drove with did. I will see if he will send them to me and post a few.

Scott

This is an unbelievable event, unlike any other tying event I've ever attended. It's very informal and an intimate setting. They have chairs in front of every tyer and you actually can sit and talk with them, all were very friendly from the everyday tyer to the most famous and they were elbow to elbow with each other.

My new friend Scott Bearden and I carpooled together which worked incredibly well for two people that had never met prior to sharing an 18 hour car ride! Scott is a wonderfull person and now a good friend. Scott attracted quite the crowd in front of him while he was tying, I think he was quite stunned by the crowds response but I can tell you he's a very good tyer ands was tying some interesting patterns.

I did take a few pictures but they just didn't do justice to this event, I spent so much time hanging out with the tyers and too little time taking pictures. I do have a couple of good pictures of Ron Knight and Skip Shorb. I'm sorry Scott, I negelected to get any photos of you.

If you've never atttended this event, your really missing out, it's that good. I spent the whole time there just as happy as I could possibly be.

Wayne

post-11013-1269359677_thumb.jpg

post-11013-1269359704_thumb.jpg

Scott I think we did meet! I was too busy sitting with all the great tyers to take pictures too. Wasn't a great event!?! I learned soooo much!! Looking forward to next year.

Flytyer14 it is in Northern Arkansas, Mountain Home.

The guy in the red shirt is Skip Shorb. He's changed his demo tying a bit. He use to weave size 30 and 32 flies with the help of a big magnifier/light. He also builds furled leaders. Both he and Tony Spezio did a demonstration at a fish-in I did for FAOL in 2003. I also have a bamboo rod built by Tony. If you all came by the booth that was selling tungsten beads, I was the grey beard working the booth.

Mike

The Sowbug was a great time I had a blast, only tied friday afternoon as we had to leave that night but i'll be back next year for sure as i am now on their list of tiers.. tony is great as well as denny from conranch hackle and a bunch of others. I know i met a few of you and spent thursday watching many people tie including skipp how is a sweetheart. I cant help but be proud to have meet and tied with many of them / you. On a nother note what was scott whereing i might have photos of him. Caught me at least 30 trough in one day wish i had a creel so i could have kept some for dinner. but they where biting only taking the hares ear nymph though i that and the chilly pepper for wets and a mosqueto dry that was it. but i hear people got some bigiens on the white. the largest trout i had was a 18" and someone caught a 22" it was beautifull

A few more photos from Sow Bug:

on the left Jim Hatfield, right Allen Fish

Wayne

post-11013-1269431278_thumb.jpg

post-11013-1269431301_thumb.jpg

post-11013-1269431616_thumb.jpga couple more: I can't remeber either tyers name, the one in the black t-shirt tied an awesome mouse pattern utilyzing foam underbody and pine squirrel.

post-11013-1269431646_thumb.jpg