Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Making a mandrel for turning cork, foam and balso bodies.

Harold Ray...give this popper stuff a try...I'll say it's harder than it looks for me...Don't worry how they come out, it all takes time my friend....Good Luck!!!

My second try at this...

newpopper1.jpg

newpopper.jpg

I think they will work, but wish I could do better....

Finished product...I rushed on the paint job, don't know if it will sink or swim...So I didn't take my time...

popper8.jpg

This is all I have to dress it with, so I went with it...

popper9.jpg

Kirk, this is fun!!! Thanks for posting this thread...

Sorry I couldn't do any justice with them..But they will work, I hope!!!

...Kirk, this is fun!!! Thanks for posting this thread...

Sorry I couldn't do any justice with them..But they will work, I hope!!!

You're off to a great start. Not bad for your first attempts; look like mine did 25 years ago. I'd say it will catch some fish. Just keep working with it, fishing them and you will develop a good feel and find ways that are easy for you. I'd try to find a longer hook for that sized body, you're going to drive yourself crazy trying to thread the eye of that hook inside the cupped face while bass are smashing the surface around you.

This is a real subtle point and one I don't always get right but if you cut the face on a slope you can actually cup the face kind of vertical or even follow the sloped face so that when you pick up, it will dig in less making for an easier pickup/backcast yet will still chug and pop with the little twitch.

Kirk

Kirk, What type of hook do you suggest I use? I'm still green, don't know whats good or bad.

Name/size of hook would help me out allot..

Kirk, What type of hook do you suggest I use? I'm still green, don't know whats good or bad.

Name/size of hook would help me out allot..

I like the kinked shank Mustad 33903 for most applications. I like the Gamakatsu B10s stinger hook is good as is the 3366 although they have a regular, smooth shank and are standard to short in shank length, which doesn't leave much room for a tail but are good hooks. I also use the Mustad 34007 and 340011 for bugs that I'll fish in brackish or saltwater. Almost any hook will work as long as you use the body size as a guideline. You want the body to be from the back of the hook eye to no longer than the hook point. If you're tying a weedguard, the body should be a little back from the hook eye; look back at the pics I posted of glueing the cork to the hook. The hook you used will work but you would have to cut the body shorter either off the larger front end or the rear smaller end depending on the best proportion. Don't know if all that makes any sense.

Kirk

Kirk, I tested a few of my poppers out today and they worked....I caught a nice pickerel on one...Didn't have much time to fish them, Just wanted to test if they float ok.

I picked up a few unused wine corks to make my poppers, and I'm going to Michael's tomorrow to get my little saw to make the cuts. I've got stinger hooks, but I'll have to check the length. I believe they're long enough. And, I've got plenty of paint, so I'll be giving them a try pretty quick!

On the corks, I saw some on ebay and made a bid. I was anticipating other bidders 'cause they are usually right on top of you, but no one else wanted them. They are clean, unused, no marks, and of natural cork. I've got enough to last 2 or 3 days, ............................................590 of them!! :rolleyes: Sometimes I overdo things a little!!

Anyhow when I get a few done, I'll post some pictures.

Ray

I picked up a few unused wine corks to make my poppers, and I'm going to Michael's tomorrow to get my little saw to make the cuts. I've got stinger hooks, but I'll have to check the length. I believe they're long enough. And, I've got plenty of paint, so I'll be giving them a try pretty quick!

On the corks, I saw some on ebay and made a bid. I was anticipating other bidders 'cause they are usually right on top of you, but no one else wanted them. They are clean, unused, no marks, and of natural cork. I've got enough to last 2 or 3 days, ............................................590 of them!! :rolleyes: Sometimes I overdo things a little!!

Anyhow when I get a few done, I'll post some pictures.

Ray

Ray...590 corks..Wow, I'm sure they will go fast!!! B/c this popper stuff is really addicting. Hope you have as much fun as I do making them..

They're for wine bottles, Kirk. I got them from a winery in California, some left over from their last run.

Ray

They're for wine bottles, Kirk. I got them from a winery in California, some left over from their last run.

Ray

Awesome! You mind asking how much you got them for? Let us know how you handle turning them down, a wine cork is kind of fat so unless you're making bass bugs, they'll have to come down a bit. I wonder if you could slice them in quarters length-wise for smaller bugs?

Let us know, I've got some wine corks but never thought of fooling with them for fishing. We made a real nice cork board; I set up a jig for my scroll saw and cut in half length-wise about three hundred and my wife put the 600 halves on a board.

Kirk

Kirk,

.14 cents (fourteen cents) a cork, about $60.00 for a long term supply

Its more than I need but I've got a friend whose tying specialty is cork poppers; he makes hundreds. I love tying streamers for perch, bass, salt flats and Gulf of Mexico species and have been planning to do more poppers, too, so this is for John (I'm sure he'll probably want some; he usually does.) and me.

You can cut these in 2 or 3 pieces if you want to, but I am going to try to make some really big poppers for bass here. That's my plan, an' I'm stickin' to it!

Ray