Fly Tying
Flytyer14

CDC feathers

What is the best color to get that you can use in %90 percent of patterns...I'm looking to get some and I can't get more than 1 or 2 color boxes.

Thanks

-Mark

If it were me, Mark, I'd get white, natural dun, and black first.

If you get the HareLine CDC from J. Stockard, they are just $1.95

for a small bag.

Mike

Gustav is right. Natural dun is the way to go. If you are going to buy a lot, get the highest quality you can. Best stuff I've seen is Trouthunters . Hareline seems to repackage Marc Petijean's stuff these days, and it is OK, but Rene Harrop's stuff is my personal preference.

Gustav is right. Natural dun is the way to go. If you are going to buy a lot, get the highest quality you can. Best stuff I've seen is Trouthunters . Hareline seems to repackage Marc Petijean's stuff these days, and it is OK, but Rene Harrop's stuff is my personal preference.

I'm not impressed by the CDC I have got from Hareline, I would avoid that brand <_< Marc Petitjean is superior when tying bodies with CDC, Guideline has the best winging-CDC I've tried so far. There are surely even better feathers out there for winging though.

The feathers that floats absolutely best are those that I have got from a friend. They have just been plucked from the duck and washed with a little soap, that's all. They beat petty much any material in buoyancy :wub:

ask a friend who duck hunts and you will have all you need.I duck hunt and always snatch the cdc from each duck ,be it mallard,woodduck,teal,goose or just bout everything.My personal favorite is natural goose cdc.

shane

I really like natural dun and black. two opposites of the color spectrum. Check and see if you can get any combo packs of cdc in multiple colors!

I don't know if you want to get into this, but you could always get white and dye to any color you need. I just dyed some white CDC olive using Rit dyes and the microwave method. It worked very well. Beyond that i would agree that the natural dun is probably the most versatile.

Mike.

I'm not impressed by the CDC I have got from Hareline, I would avoid that brand <_< Marc Petitjean is superior when tying bodies with CDC, Guideline has the best winging-CDC...

Petitjean Select and Harrop's CDC is certainly better quality (haven't tried Guideline).

Mike

I'm not impressed by the CDC I have got from Hareline, I would avoid that brand <_< Marc Petitjean is superior when tying bodies with CDC, Guideline has the best winging-CDC...

Petitjean Select and Harrop's CDC is certainly better quality (haven't tried Guideline).

Mike

Weeell.. I don't have much experience of MPs natural dun CDC but I don't think it is as good as Guidelines dun coloured CDC. GL has more "fleshy" feathers than MP.. Harrop's CDC I haven't tried out at all I'm afraid, but I'm curious about it.

What is the best color to get that you can use in %90 percent of patterns...I'm looking to get some and I can't get more than 1 or 2 color boxes.

Thanks

-Mark

MARC PETIT JEAN CDC Nº 7 !!!! (Natural Beige)