Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJFlyMAn

Nail polish for painting poppers

I just go some Salley Hansen Hard as nails Xtreme wear nail color. Man does she make great colors...

Check out the Emerald city, Disco ball, Ivy league, they are great colors...

NJ, I find they are better for accents if you're going to use them. They dry fairly quickly and develop a "skin" really quickly. So, when you apply it, you have to go around pretty quick only once. Where the brush overlaps, you'll wound up with a rough finish. Give it a try, maybe I'm just to slow.

Kirk

A quick pic of popper with the nail polish.. It's still wet in places...Not a great photo...But i love the glitter...

popper.jpg

Looks good to me. Maybe what I'm running into is with the clear; or like I said, maybe I'm just slow with the applicator. The glitter would make a good belly effect for sure.

Nice job.

Kirk

I did a batch with nothing but nail polish. You just need to work from light colors to dark ones - and even then I had six or seven coats to get the color I wanted.

That's the only thing I've used. I've even let the kids paint them. I feel that the paint job doesn't matter much to the fish (bass, panfish). But, having said that, seeing all the stuff that Stippledpopper has been posting I'm really considering taking the artistic route and making them look nicer. Guess I could ask the fish after that which they prefer.

and, a smiley dude for my son, he likes it. :ripped: