Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

REEL HELP

I need to get 2 reels .And iam not sure what to get for these rods ones a float rod .And the other is a fly rod and is a 4 wt. Not sure what the wt is for the float. my friend

made them for me . Not sure what make to get

post-25665-1271013596_thumb.jpg

The float rod (centerpin as some call them) has to have a "float/centerpin" reel for it. The cheapest float reel which is still good is a Okuma Sheffield http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Sheffield-S-1...Pin-Reel_p.html

For the fly rod it all depends on what you want to spend. But about the best price for quality fly reel will be an Okuma SLV http://cgi.ebay.com/OKUMA-SLV-4-5-Large-Ar...=item5ad87ccd6f

Steve

Mainly the drag as the biggest thing, as well as brand name and what material the reel itself is made out of. Reels made out of something like T6 machined aluminum will cost more than one made out of cast metal. And a smooth disc drag reel will always cost more than a click&pawl style reel in most cases (unless its something like a Hardy in which case the name Hardy is what fetches the high dollars). The SLV is a cast reel which there's nothing wrong with, just have to make sure to not drop it on a hard surface because cast will crack if you do that with them, but it does have a nice strong&smooth disc drag so its well worth the $45 they cost.

On the float reel the thing that makes them so expensive is the fact that they have to be silky smooth because theres no drag at all on them, but since your float drifting is what pulls line from the reel then they have to be incredibly smooth so they have very good machining and bearings which is what makes then expensive. Most float reels run between $250-$400 so the Sheffield is actually the lowest price you will find on a float reel at $189, and is a good reel.

Steve

As steeldrifter said Helios is a great reel.

some others you might consider are:

- Cabela's RLS reel (its on sale) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&id=0051130

- Ross CLA C2 is a great reel for the price I think.

- Loop Opti Dryfly OMG :shocking: That reel is very sexy ( I have the older opti creek and speedrunner and absolutely love them :wub: , I don't think I will ever fish with anything else)

Ross reels are very nice. I like their CLA for the Price and the Vexis or the Evolution LT for the performance. Also Lamson makes some really good reels.

I pick up these up to day for 55 each.. I hope i did well! there was a king pinn rod and reel there to i might get that to ! These reels came with some backing on to . they are helios reels

post-25665-1271209371_thumb.jpg

I'm a fan of The Cortland 444 Classic Peach.. :blink: Great trout line..

But the first question is, what type of fishing are you going to do?