Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
threadpuller

My Spring Trio

Had a great day at the Flatbrook, here in NW NJ, yesterday, and thought I would like to try some new streamers, these should work.

Hook : #12 streamer hook

Tail : CDL (Light Pardo) Fibetts

Body : Silver and Gold Body Braid

Wing : CDL (Light pardo and dyed golden olive) Cape Feathers over white Cape feathers (gives it a real natural mottled look)

Throat : White Arctic Fox tail

The fly in the center of the pick is the same except for the wing. The wing is made from an American Variant rooster cape.

post-17449-1271426316_thumb.jpg

Oooh Werner's Pool. I have been fishing the flatbrook for 25 years now, and I think I have tried most all of those pools, but, I am not too good with the names of them, I just know where the good pools are. So... I might be fishing Werner's pool, but, I wouldn't know it. LOL. We need a "key" to the pools of the flatbrook.

Werner's pool is a huge pool that you need to walk about 300 yrds from a bridge into the woods. When standing on top of the trail you can look down into the pool and see all the fish at times... I think it's one of the largest and deepest pool on the BFB. Hard spot to get, Since most people only fish that spot on the BFB..

Yup, that is a nice pool, but, you're right it's rare if you can get the to yourself. Or at least without a crowd. That would be a great pool for these streamers. I ran a #6 flatwing pattern through the pool I was at on the otherside of the street for the heck of it. And they loved it. It was just a bit too big for them. Back to the vise to scale it down a bit.

The only time you see me fish the BFB is in the winter/ fall.. Or on a nice cool sumer afternoon if the water temp is ok...Other than that, I'm fishing the Musky or the Pequest...

Flytyer14...It not worth it for you to drive all that way to fish this place...It's good, but you need to fish it off season....

I fished the Flatbrook several years ago-where i went it was around a bend close to the road.A guy at work who fishes there said there is a guy who likes to throw rocks in the water-i try to avoid problem areas like that-mostly fish Morris,Warren and Hunderton counties.

Holy cow !!! That is really funny you should say that about the rock thrower. Your friend is 100% correct. I was there thursday, and saw him doing it. And to top it off he was spin fishing. I almost had a cow, I was ready to choke him, but, the other flyfisherman that he chased out of the hole with his rock throwing told me to let it go. He was in my favorite hole too. I will call him on it nextime. I couldn't believe it.