Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yeoldkiller

help with flies

trout stocking is coming up some time around may and will be the last load of the season around my area they stock in a creek I need help on tying flies for stocked trout since i have only caught natives on a fly could you all please suggets some flies and post pics and recipe for the flies

What works for the natives should work for the stockers, I would think. Unless somebody has a pellet pattern. :lol:

Brown pellet egg pattern is the only thing I can ever get them to take a Roaring River. Those hatchery fish do not know what a bug is even when you hit them on the head! LOL!

They learn to eat right away. I have watched trout start eating caddis 15 minutes after they leave the truck. Tie a few different colors of woolly worms size 10 and 8, with grizzly hackle. Some bead head, some unweighted. Should do OK.

I've used bright orange wolley-bugers, olive woolley bugers, adams in 12-16, humpies, stimi's, hoppers, lady bugs, even a zebra midge in the film!

I use a Hare's ear with a Pheasant tail as a dropper and catch stockies on the same day they were stocked.. Also do well with scuds and zebra midges...

really really outrageous looking woolly buggers. with odd colors like orange. chartreuse, white, fl. pink.... the list goes on.