Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

BUILDING A WEB SITE

There was no fishing store around me so i opened one ! Iam been wanting to do this for several years now. So now I have to put a web site together

and iam looking for suggestions!! there will be a spot for patterns\ And working on HD video stream right now to hold fly tying class on line . But we have to iron out a compression problem first! And working with skype. I would love to hear any ideas !!!!

I think this should be in The Lodge section????

Correct me if i'm wrong..

I'm sure there are lots of computer geeks here that should be able to help you with this problem tho..

There was no fishing store around me so i opened one ! Iam been wanting to do this for several years now. So now I have to put a web site together

and iam looking for suggestions!! there will be a spot for patterns\ And working on HD video stream right now to hold fly tying class on line . But we have to iron out a compression problem first! And working with skype. I would love to hear any ideas !!!!

Hey there Tom good luck in your new venture! Where is your store located? The way they have been dropping out of my area yours just might be among the closest to my home in Michigan:)

Hey Sawcat-- I'm not sure where his store is but I think i recall him saying he was near New Hamburg, Ontario..

We have atleast 10 really good stores throughout southern ontario without going past Guelph at the furthest... It all depends on what you are looking for.. then there is one really nice fly shop in Furgus that has a HUGE amount of inventory but that is quite a drive even for me..

Hey Sawcat-- I'm not sure where his store is but I think i recall him saying he was near New Hamburg, Ontario..

We have atleast 10 really good stores throughout southern ontario without going past Guelph at the furthest... It all depends on what you are looking for.. then there is one really nice fly shop in Furgus that has a HUGE amount of inventory but that is quite a drive even for me..

Fergus is okay I was there 2 weeks ago but there prices are a little high on some of the materials. I think Waterdown has a better selection but it's only slightly cheaper. If Tom can offer selection, quality and online pricing then he has my business.

I have everthing but WHITING which i hope to have by the end of the may. Just finshing the web site ! Put this post up to see what people would like to see\ patterns \ and so on.. And working on live video stream with skype . And should have HMH in soon to !!

And the web site

WWW. HOOKEDONTYING.COM but its not up yet or .ca

Tom-- Where is the store? I'm not far from you and would like to come have a look...

dude that is sweet! keep up the good work! just remember that you are always in competiton with bass pro and cabelas so you need to be very personal to people and very friendly so they return.

If you have online pricing I'll be buying from you from now on! Congrats on the store!! And maybe sometime when i'm visiting my Grandparents in Michigan i'll come and visit the place!!

-Mark

Right now iam just taking orders threw email. i hope the web site will be up and running soon!! the store is not ready yet . But it is in new hambrug

dude that is sweet! keep up the good work! just remember that you are always in competiton with bass pro and cabelas so you need to be very personal to people and very friendly so they return.

There only 1 Bass pro shop in Canada and it's north of where we live. It would be about an hours drive for me or closer to 1hr 45min from where Tom is, there selection is small and not really worth the drive. Theres only 1 cabelas in Canada and it's a good 23 hours away in another province.

There only 1 Bass pro shop in Canada and it's north of where we live. It would be about an hours drive for me or closer to 1hr 45min from where Tom is, there selection is small and not really worth the drive. Theres only 1 cabelas in Canada and it's a good 23 hours away in another province.

thats true but we do have several other large stores in southern ontario that are very popular and have great customer service plus a good selection of what guys are looking for..

You need to have that special relationship with customers that makes them want to just drop by the store to chat even if they dont need anything, because they will buy stuff anyways.. Then you need to have the best selection around.. Because people will drive for hours just to go to the store that has everything plus will bend over backwards to help.. and there are already TWO of those in the London area.. Half the customers are coming from areas like Windsor and Toronto just to have a rod fixed or to buy some flies or a few materials and then since they are already there, they tend to spend a ton of money on stuff they dont need just because they aren't sure if they will be able to get it at their local stores..

That is the kind of customers that you want to attract..

Good luck, and I hope to hear about your store from guys on the rivers soon..

Chris

Theres only 1 cabelas in Canada and it's a good 23 hours away in another province.

And that only cabelas in Canada is crap. They have half a row of fly fishing/ little to none fly tying material.Just some cheap rods. I have found that there are only two fishing chains in Canada that supply material and fly fishing equipment which are "The Fishing Hole" and "Wholesales Sports"

I would rather buy from a fly shop then a chain store.

Its taking FOREVER!! to put this together.. LOL And i thought this was GOING to be EASY!! :wallbash: It should be done by next week!!

Its up but not finshed !!!Theres still a lot of work that needs to be done ! And the estore will be added soon..