Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
john welch

rio monsters

Nice John! Finding them in City Park, Bayou St. John, Lafreniere, somewhere else? I caught a big one like that last month in Bayou St John but not one since; course I'm just fishing surface flies right now.

Kirk

i've bee using a dropper rig, size 12 foam bug with a size 16 bug(marabou tail, green ice dubbing with red wire ribbing. and yes in city park near the new softball park...been catching alot of hand sized bluegill and a few bass too. i hooked a little bream and, had to be a 4 pound bass, grabbed him, but spit em out.

John,

I'm not familiar with this species...enlighten me, please. Beautiful fish....looks like a gill and a mutant tilapia spawned....

they are an invasive species called rio grande cichlid or texas blue. they get about as big as bluegill, same haunts, size mouth. this is just a huge example of a breeder male.....the hump on his head was as big a golf ball. i saw one that size at a pet store selling for a hundred bucks! i can finally quit my job and fish for monet...ha ha.

I was curious if it was a cichlid species...I would imagine they are great little fighters with boddies that broad and flat...

Yes, it is a cichlid and the only cichlid species native to the US. It is a native in Texas where it is know as the Rio Grande Perch.

Big Daddy, until you get them in the over 7-8 inch size, they just flop around. Not much of a fight at all. The larger one tug pretty good. Ounce for ounce, I think bluegill have them beat. As for taste, I think the Rios have a slight edge. As much as I love bluegill, the Rios are just as good and maybe even a tad bit tastier - not by much though.

As for looks, they are beautiful with their turquoise spots.

Kirk

Those are beauties John. Nice to see they survived the freeze. The first ones I ever caught were last year in N.O. at the first annual Rio Grande tourn . Is your club going to hold that again ?

Fred