Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

Little Red River trip, AR

My girlfriend and I have been fishing the Little Red quite often for the past few weeks. We've had very good success. Only seven days in on fly fishing for her and she's really picked it up. I've been tying flies and fishing and building rods for several years now and its fun to find someone to share it with. We always enjoy it and appreciate the awesome fisheries in AR. The game and fish and corp really do a good job down here. Supposedly the game and fish never stocked any Browns into the red. They started it out by rolling big bails of moss off and improved the habitat a bit. Some insects were introduced. Without much change to the actual tail water a good beginning was taking place. After a healthy bit of Rainbows were established, a local club secretly introduced browns and they really thrived. That's the story anyway.... regardless, it worked. If anyone would be interested in tactics we used, areas, or flies, or even a trip...pm me.

post-1261-1276313338_thumb.jpg

hooked up with a nice Brown on a 4wt what a fight

post-1261-1276313469_thumb.jpg

released

post-1261-1276313559_thumb.jpg

one of her impressive browns. already asking to go back my Patagonia scheme :devil: haha just joking...

post-1261-1276313662_thumb.jpg

real nice fish. most caught sight fishing!

post-1261-1276314128_thumb.jpg

interesting damage. my guess is adolescent accident

post-1261-1276314688_thumb.jpg

Mr Raccoon fishing with us.

post-1261-1276316337_thumb.jpg

another good fish.

post-1261-1276316930_thumb.jpg

they hardly give up...

post-1261-1276315034_thumb.jpg

but eventually, in hand!

post-1261-1276317152_thumb.jpg

and after going home for a haircut!

Thanks for looking. I have fished many tail waters of AR. Those interested in coming to AR I'd be happy to help. I've been absorbed in fly fishing since 11 and 12. Its my passion and I love sharing it with others. These fish were very spooky and fairly hard to catch. Common tactics will end your day fish less. Pressure in these rivers are crazy steep. My advice coming to AR is to get out of the box, grab a jon boat, know the generation schedules, and fish your own flies... your own patterns I mean. And I've noticed wade fisherman giving bad looks to a guy floating down drift fishing. Keep in mind boats have the right of way here and if anyone says anything to you tell them to read the regs!! Bait fisherman crowd the banks on most of the public access points. Don't be afraid to walk down river or upstream and leave them. Just know the schedule because little to no warning is given (away from the dam and popular areas) and it comes up quick! If in a boat excellent fishing can be expected while floating down with high water behind you and low water in front. Stay right on the "edge" of rising waters. For more info or fly patterns pm me. I don't mind sharing my flies... but maybe not to the whole world. :blink:

Little Red River, Heber Springs, AR

9 hour float trip from swinging bridge

Many many fish caught and all released. Including Rainbows, A Cutthroat, small Browns, And the largest Browns ranging from 24" to 27"

Tight lines and thick wallets,

JRod

post-1261-1276313879_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1276314829_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1276315146_thumb.jpg

Not sure what's goin on...I just see red Xs til I click on "add reply",then the pics apppear...

Great pics. Looks like a great fishin buddy you've got there!

Love those browns. Yet to get brookie there; site fished for couple once couldn't get a take. Never caught a cutthroat there but did on the White.

I love that place. Made 2 trips there...Been 3 years trying to get my vacation to coincide with generation/ avoid the flooding. It's been tough with the flooding last 2 years and my job scheduel... Went to JFK week before Memorial Day this year and they opened the dam; messed up wading. Guess I need to rig for drift fishing on one genereator or sumthin. Can't get the wifey in a boat and we're over 60...We couldn't wait on the dam guys so we drove to Spring River for the third time in 3 years. Maybe I can swing another trip in the fall. Managed a couple of nice browns outa the Spring too...I think you viewed the post. Arkie's got some great trouting for sure!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=52617

Later DL

jarrod I see the issue. Do not use the IMG tags use the img uploader. Its below the text box.Yyou will see a Browse button.

thanks guys and those were some impressive fish out of the spring to. ok so bump after 5 million edits here they are. used to you could do it the way i did but not sure anymore about anything... but the fishing. so bump check it out.

Not sure what's goin on...I just see red Xs til I click on "add reply",then the pics apppear...

Great pics. Looks like a great fishin buddy you've got there!

Love those browns. Yet to get brookie there; site fished for couple once couldn't get a take. Never caught a cutthroat there but did on the White.

I love that place. Made 2 trips there...Been 3 years trying to get my vacation to coincide with generation/ avoid the flooding. It's been tough with the flooding last 2 years and my job scheduel... Went to JFK week before Memorial Day this year and they opened the dam; messed up wading. Guess I need to rig for drift fishing on one genereator or sumthin. Can't get the wifey in a boat and we're over 60...We couldn't wait on the dam guys so we drove to Spring River for the third time in 3 years. Maybe I can swing another trip in the fall. Managed a couple of nice browns outa the Spring too...I think you viewed the post. Arkie's got some great trouting for sure!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=52617

Later DL

those brookies at jfk love the midges... in fact jfk is perfect midge fishing. ive never caught any of a decent size but landed a few small ones. your right havent caught very many of those dudes. when are you coming down again?

Great fish! The little red was the river my home river during college. Looks like you had better luck that I ever had. Where did you pull out of the water? Pangburn?

Me and my buddy are gonna be down there at the end of July for a week, hopefully the water will be back down. Thanks for the pictures.

And you do have me curious on what you used. sow bugs? red azzes?

most of the time we float from swinging bridge to pangburn most the time the river catches us before then and we just motor on down. a lot of the browns came out of the Barnett area and some came from on down. We would consistently take a nice brown every new stretch of river. We just now learned what to look for river wise and it was rarely disappointing. We used a variety of flies throughout the day... started drifting soft hackles and a red ass was included there, later switched to sowbug patterns and then I drifted a "dead" rainbow pattern we came up with the night prior. I like to fish experimental flies a lot after you've already had a good day. The dead rainbow did well. Just come up with something original and you'll have luck, afterall, they've seen everything.