Thread: Red

Tag: fine oval silver tinsel

Tail: GP rump fibers

Rib: Medium oval gold tinsel

Body: Flat gold tinsel

Wing: Black bear

Hackle: Black schlappen

Head: Red

The recipe is in Paul Marriner's Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies, page 52.

It's the John Olan, not Oland.

Thread: Red

Tag: fine oval silver tinsel

Tail: GP rump fibers

Rib: Medium oval gold tinsel

Body: Flat gold tinsel

Wing: Black bear

Hackle: Black schlappen

Head: Red

The recipe is in Paul Marriner's Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies, page 52.

Does anyone have a picture of this fly?? Sounds like it would be tied on a double or treble hook??

I've been thinking about taking a long weekend and driving over to Quebec some time this year for some salmon and I have heard that this pattern is just killer, along with Green Machines..

Cheers,

Chris

Does anyone have a picture of this fly?? Sounds like it would be tied on a double or treble hook??

The fly in Marriner's book is tied on a single hook, but I don't see why a double couldn't be used.

Thanks Troutbum, I could not figure for the life of me why nothing came up on Google.

There's a family in the Maritimes by the name of Oland that has been in the brewing business (Moosehead) for over 100 years. Well known for sure by anyone that enjoys a cold one from time to time So when I kept hearing the fly name I just assumed it was "Oland". And after getting 3 salmon on 2 different rivers I felt I had to try to tie some up.

The version I've seen had JC eyes added to it, but who knows whether that makes a difference.

Great fly for sure tied on double or single hook Chris. I've never seen a treble used in Atlanic Canada, but you could I suppose.

The other patterns that have been 'hot" this year are Red Butt Green Machine (big time), Blue Charm, Black Bear Green Butt, Silver Rat (bright conditions), and Shady Lady(darker conditions)....to name just a few.

Fred

Thanks John, That is one heckuva link... I've been writing down fly recipes for the last 2 hours. Some amazing flies and alot of them are from canadian tyers!! :D

Cheers

Chris

I've never seen a treble used in Atlanic Canada, but you could I suppose.

Trebles are not permitted at all in New Brunswick and even doubles are now outlawed in some rivers.

Check the regs before you hot the water as the rules are different all over the place.

Good luck and here's to a Moose Light!

Marc

trebles, doubles, barbed or barbless all depends on the rivers or areas here in Ontario.. Trebles are legal some places and then other places it must be a single barbless within a hook size limitation... I always have to check the regs when it comes to tying flies for local waters, but I like tying flies on trebles and doubles just to get a feel for how it was originally tied even if I can't ever fish the fly..

Cheers

Chris