More dubbing Brush Ties

Mullet Madness

P1020550.jpg

Shrimp on Acid

P1020548.jpg

Red Pine Squirel Special

P1020546.jpg

May try to fish in the morning...weather permiting

I just put together a dubbing block and have had some success, but haven't had time to experiment much. Did you buy a dubbing block or build one? What materials have you had good luck making brushes with? So far I have only used craft fur...

post-15973-1283191056_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1283191078_thumb.jpg

Made mine with a T-square and an old Dremel tool with a cup hook...simple, cheap and works.

I use 28 gauge wire and congo hair and ep fibers, add flash or legs alive sometimes for a little extra action. Will fish them for the first time tommorow after work...Let the catching begin!

Great flies, love the shrimp...great eyes. Will be copying that one for sure.

Tight Lines...dave

I need a dremmel tool; spun my first few looping into the wire with a crocheting needle and hand turning. I took the girly out last week to give that baitfish pattern(Dead Head Minnow) a test run on some stripers, and the craft fur really moves great, but I am looking forward to all the different options of what you can mix and spin up.

post-15973-1283271048_thumb.jpg

Made mine with a T-square and an old Dremel tool with a cup hook...simple, cheap and works.

I use 28 gauge wire and congo hair and ep fibers, add flash or legs alive sometimes for a little extra action. Will fish them for the first time tommorow after work...Let the catching begin!

Great flies, love the shrimp...great eyes. Will be copying that one for sure.

Tight Lines...dave

...and what is a T-square? I just used a 2x6 and some screws and nails. The examples I have seen have had a trench down the middle, but I am at a loss as to what the trench does for you. I would have routed it out, but I don't have the tools. The wire I have been using just says medium(copper), seems like that is going to get expensive.

Not sure about the trench either, there is a small depression on the t-square...seems to make material easier to place by allowing it to lay flat :dunno:

Love the striper, wife and I used to fish for them in Lake Mead and float tube looks like a great way to spend a day on the water in Texas...not so much in Florida lakes, the lizards are none to friendly.

The t-square el cheapo...

P1020560.jpg

Our float tube "never leave the boat" Chief Brodey...Jaws

P1020510.jpg

Coulden't resist trying to copy your shrimp, awsome pattern.

P1020554.jpg

P1020556.jpg

Tight lines...dave

I like the tie, looks good. Your brush looks alot better than mine as well, when I get to spinning it seems like all my material gets sucked in and I end up haveing to pick it back out to get it looking as full as yours, time consuming. I don't know if it is just the difference in material or I am going wrong somewhere; I am fishing the next few days, but I will try some EP fibers when I get back to the bench. I wish I could upgrade the tubes and kayak and get something more along the lines of your ride, but living 6 hrs from the coast I just can't justify it right now.

Best fishing I ever did was floating in streams and alpine lakes in northern California, hot dry days and clear cold water = good fun. We used to wade the boat ramp at the end of the street with the dogs and fish until a local dogs was eaten... :bugeyes:

I don't know if this helps, but I try to to keep the material spaced and fairly thin...lift the wire away from the bubbing board when spinning...start slow and increase speed...try to keep the brush from shrinking too much before the wire breaks

Congo hair works as well as ep and at about a buck and a half per pack alot cheaper fo rthe same results. http://www.flytyersdungeon.com

Tight lines...dave

Awesome looking flies, Dave. I love the use of Congo Hair. I have recently discovered how awesome dubbing brushes can be, but haven't learned to make my own yet. So far I have just been using EP brushes and love them. Eventually I plan on trying to make my own block. Did your dremel tool come with a mounting bracket to attach to your bench?

Thanks Andy, no mounting bracket...I just placed a cup hook into the dremel / wire in my vice and hold it untlil the wire breaks.

Ordered a Nor-Vise last week, will be here Tuesday...I work in a robotics lab with a killer machine shop and have an old sewing machine motor, will have to see what happens with that :bugeyes:

Spent most of the day on the water yesterday, wore my butt out reeling in spanish, blues, and lady fish, trout we a little slow...still an awsome time. I'm heading out now for a couple of hours, woke up a little late :crutch: old age sucks.

dave