Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chase-the-Yough-fisher

west MD patterns

Wooly buggers will work anywhere, including the upper Yough. Start with olive, brown, and black. White, tan and charteuse next. You can tie a pretty effective wooly bugger with just marabou and dubbing ribbed with copper wire. Pick out the dubbing after you tie up the fly to make it appear like there is some hackle. For nymphs, you should start with a pheasant tail, a killer bug, and a hare's ear. All you need for these is pheasant tails, copper wire, light tan yarn, and hare's ear dubbing. You can shred up various tan shades of yarn to make dubbing for a fur nymph that will work just fine. Tie the wooly buggers in size 6 and 8, and the nymphs in sizes 12, 14, and 16.

For dry flies, foam ants and beetles will work. Try black and orange. If you have dry fly hackle, then work on tying an Adams. Sizes on all these should be from 12, to as small as 22.

Streamers simple bucktail streamers will work. Tie white or light color bucktail on the under side, and darker colors over the top. White, and natural tan bucktail, both colors should be on the same tail. These same bucktails can be used to tie up clouser minnows. You would also need bead chain, or dumbell eyes for the clousers.

Try and see if you can get a copy of the Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing: The Catch and Release Streams. They have info on the Yough, Casselman, Savage etc to include patterns. There is a small section in the back of the book that has about a dozen receipes for you to follow. I live down here in Frederick County so if you need anything else I can help. I am sure we are using the same flies. BTW you can also pick up a fly fishing guide that is free every month from a local fly shop. In the black and white magazine they list what is hatching and in what streams or rivers every month. Something else to think about.

Wooly buggers will work anywhere, including the upper Yough. Start with olive, brown, and black. White, tan and charteuse next. You can tie a pretty effective wooly bugger with just marabou and dubbing ribbed with copper wire. Pick out the dubbing after you tie up the fly to make it appear like there is some hackle. For nymphs, you should start with a pheasant tail, a killer bug, and a hare's ear. All you need for these is pheasant tails, copper wire, light tan yarn, and hare's ear dubbing. You can shred up various tan shades of yarn to make dubbing for a fur nymph that will work just fine. Tie the wooly buggers in size 6 and 8, and the nymphs in sizes 12, 14, and 16.

For dry flies, foam ants and beetles will work. Try black and orange. If you have dry fly hackle, then work on tying an Adams. Sizes on all these should be from 12, to as small as 22.

Streamers simple bucktail streamers will work. Tie white or light color bucktail on the under side, and darker colors over the top. White, and natural tan bucktail, both colors should be on the same tail. These same bucktails can be used to tie up clouser minnows. You would also need bead chain, or dumbell eyes for the clousers.

thanks those sound pretty good to me im going to print of some pictures of them to use

Try and see if you can get a copy of the Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing: The Catch and Release Streams. They have info on the Yough, Casselman, Savage etc to include patterns. There is a small section in the back of the book that has about a dozen receipes for you to follow. I live down here in Frederick County so if you need anything else I can help. I am sure we are using the same flies. BTW you can also pick up a fly fishing guide that is free every month from a local fly shop. In the black and white magazine they list what is hatching and in what streams or rivers every month. Something else to think about.

Cool i didnt know people on the fourm lived around here, thats nice to know. ill ask around for thoes books, maybe it on the internet.(i have a library at my school too maybe they would have it)

thanks, chase

If your school library doesn't have those books, ask about an inter-library loan. In most states, you can get books from anywhere in the state library system. Just ask for them at your local library, and they can usually get it in less than a week.

If your school library doesn't have those books, ask about an inter-library loan. In most states, you can get books from anywhere in the state library system. Just ask for them at your local library, and they can usually get it in less than a week.

ok if my school doesent have it i will do that

Cool i didnt know people on the fourm lived around here, thats nice to know. ill ask around for thoes books, maybe it on the internet.(i have a library at my school too maybe they would have it)

thanks, chase

Yeah there are a few of us from around the state here on the forum