Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MN Muddler

Rooster Hackle

I am real new to this forum, just joined today and I already have a couple of questions.

First; Someone gave me a beautiful rooster hackle (just butchered) and I am wondering how to keep it. Do I freeze it for a while to kill off any lice and mites? Are the hackles that you buy already cleaned and if so, how do you clean a fresh one?

Then, I am going to try to tie a Clouser Minnow for my first fly. I want to use it for bass here in SW Minnesota. So what size hook should I use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

It's a bit of work, but doable. Make sure all of the subdermal fat is removed from the skin - scrape it if you need to. Then pin it flat to a piece of cardboard and cover it with borax for a couple of weeks, shaking it a little every once in a while. I don't know if the borax takes care of the bugs or not, so to be safe, put it in a ziplock bag and in the freezer for a week, out for a few days, and back in for a few more.

As for bass, I would start with a size 2 or 4. It won't be a huge fly, but easier to cast and will still catch bass. Remember, bass diets, at times throughout the year, will include items as small as dragon fly nymphs. Although this time of year they are bulking up for the winter, so think a little larger. Also, the weight of your rod will determine how big you can go and still be able to cast without tearing up your shoulder.

By the way, where are you at in Minnesota? There aren't too many of us in this neck of the woods - I think Mickalo is about the next closest.

Deeky

Yea I've caught bass on clousers as small as 6's & 8's depending on the time of year. My go-to rod in my 9' 5wt.

I tied some using the fluorescence dyed bucktail and they work pretty good too, again depending on the waters your fishing. You really can't go wrong with a clouser that's for sure.

Mike

MNmuddler;

If you have loose (plucked) feathers, simply wash them in luke warm water with a good liquid laundry detergent; rinse thoroughly under running fresh water, and lay flat on an open section of newspaper individually. When all are so placed on the newspaper, cover with another section of newspaper and weight down to press them flat. Remove weights and top paper layers after two days. Any feathers not already dry will be in just a matter of hours, depending on the temperature and humidity of your drying area. It usually is not necessary to 'de-pest' skins and feathers from domestic birds.

For skins, handle as deeky suggested.

Perchjerker

PS: A chartreuse and white Clouser works for about anything that swims in any and all of the waters of the world!

Thanks to all of your for your help.

Deeky, I am from north of Storden, MN. East of Lake Sheteck on Hyw 30.

By the way.. today I am in Mitchell, SD. So look out Cabela's, here I come. I can't wait. :yahoo: