Fly Tying
Samspaul

Yellowfish

Hi there all,

Im new to the site but from what I have seen is that there is some fantastic knowledge and talent here. I am not sure if any of you have fished for smallmouth yellowfish in South Africa but Im heading to the Vaal riverthis weekend. I was wondering if anyone has some simple caddis foam patterns they would be willing to share with me so I can target some fish on the dry....

Will post some pics ofpatterns that do work there as well as hopefully some fish that we have caught.

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome to the forumn. I don't have any advice for you at all. But I envy you being able to fish such an exotic place. How great is that. Good luck and post lots of pics. :D

Thanks for the response Bryan, if you ever get chance to come to SA a yellowfish trip will definitely be worthwhile, they are super hard fast sneaky fish and sometimes can require a lot of outwitting to eat your patterns. Not long now till I get going, been making up a few generic caddis and bloodworm patterns so hopefully they will stand us in good stead. I will put pics up as soon as I can and hopefully of some decent fish too, will also do a short list of patterns that are good all rounders. Maybe a few crits on improving will be a good thing toom.....

Paul

I would love the opportunity to come to SA and fish. But right now with all 6 of my kids still under 18 that will not happen soon. Maybe in 20 years when there all moved out and I am living high on the hog I will be able to do a trip like that. For now I will just live through your pictures so post lots of pics of your fly's and your fish. Good luck!!!

6 Kids - Holy Crap! BTW your hooks are in the mail, and Merry Christmas. Putting up with 6 kids, just take the $ for the hooks and go buy yourself a good set of earplugs.

I want to see a pic of a smallmouth yellowfish!

6 Kids - Holy Crap! BTW your hooks are in the mail, and Merry Christmas. Putting up with 6 kids, just take the $ for the hooks and go buy yourself a good set of earplugs.

I want to see a pic of a smallmouth yellowfish!

Are you serious? You don't want anything in return for them? Merry Christmas to you as well. Thank you so much!

. . . take the $ for the hooks and go buy yourself a good set of earplugs.

Ha. Very nice . . . and a nice gesture.

I'll need them too cause my wife is trying to start a daycare as well to help out with bills. Right now she only has one part time kid but she is getting a lot of interviews and soon she might have as many as 4 infants at a time, fulltime :bugeyes: So the earplugs will be a must if I am ever home before they all leave (and here I thought we were out of the diaper phase) :wallbash:

Bryan Im busy working on some pics for you guys, sheesh sounds like you have your hands tied there with the little ones.... if you do make it this side to SA let me know, will make sure to get you onto some seriously hot spots for yellows. Also busy getting some pics of fly patterns that do work photographed and once thats done will compile a list of what to takes :)

Bryan Im busy working on some pics for you guys, sheesh sounds like you have your hands tied there with the little ones.... if you do make it this side to SA let me know, will make sure to get you onto some seriously hot spots for yellows. Also busy getting some pics of fly patterns that do work photographed and once thats done will compile a list of what to takes :)

Great I can't wait to see what you caught. You never know what will happen in the years to come for all I know I could win the Lotto :yahoo: oh wait I think you have to play to win :wallbash: Oh well.