Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
s_kavert

DK Junior Trekker vs. Renzetti Traveler

I'm sure this has been covered before so forgive me... :unsure:

I am looking to upgrade from my old skool Thompson vise and want to make the jump to true rotary.

The two I am looking at are the DynaKing Trekker & Renzetti Traveler. Any thoughts from those in the know?

I really like the machined aluminum of the DK. Looks like very high quality, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $ as compared the Traveler. Seems like the Traveler can accomodate a larger range of hook sizes.

Thanks in advance!

I know a lot of people love there Traveler. I don't have one I went for the DanVise because of the price and I love it. So far it does everything I have asked it to do for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the vises you mentioned. I really want to eventually get a NorVise, that is the goal and the reason I spent less on the danvise. But I am very happy with my decision.

Oh and welcome to the forum. This place is great a lot of great people and new ideas.

I own both and like them both. I usually tie dries and small nymphs and stuff on the Traveler and larger flies on the DK. I have the midge jaws for the DK but I don't think I have ever used them. They are both excellent tools and I'd recommend both. If you tie a lot of smaller stuff you may prefer the renzetti, if you tie lots of bigger stuff or spin hair much you may prefer the DK. It really all comes down to which you prefer for your style of tying, I'd recommend using both first and then decide. Good Luck

You neglected to say what sort of tying you do, which is a major factor in choosing, I would argue. Like Sawcat, I tend to favor the Renzetti for trout flies, and the Dyna-King for larger patterns (i.e. saltwater). The Traveller is great for working with smaller patterns, but the jaws just don't hold a large hooks well. So like Sawcat I have two vises. The Renzetti which I use all most of the time for trout patterns, and the Dyna-King for larger saltwater patterns. Good luck.

I mainly tie the standard trout nymphs and dries. The bulk being between size 12 to 18. Sounds like the Renzetti may be the right choice for me.