Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Big E

Hawaii Bonefish Flies

Guest Big E

Talked to the boss and he said that there's an 80% chance I'll be going to Oahu for two months for work.

I should start tying now but haven't got a clue what are good local bonefish flies.

Anyone got the inside scoop on flies, colors, etc....pics would be awesome.

Thanks,

Eric

Talked to the boss and he said that there's an 80% chance I'll be going to Oahu for two months for work.

I should start tying now but haven't got a clue what are good local bonefish flies.

Thanks,

Eric

There is one fly shop in the islands here. It is Nervous Waters in Honolulu. My strong suggestion would be to get a guide for your first attempt. The trade winds over here can be problematic

There are Bonefish all over the Pacific but I'm not sure Hawaii has the flats where Bones like to feed. Hawaii is volcanic with steep drop offs and lots of reefs. We used to have a Naval officer on the Forum in Hawaii but I think he's not there anymore.

There are Bonefish all over the Pacific but I'm not sure Hawaii has the flats where Bones like to feed. Hawaii is volcanic with steep drop offs and lots of reefs. We used to have a Naval officer on the Forum in Hawaii but I think he's not there anymore.

Fishing for bonefish here in Hawaii is quickly growing as a sport. I live on the island of Kauai and there is some here. Most of it occurs in Oahu where the fly shop Nervous Waters is located.

Thanks,

Eric

I would just start with the basics for bonefish - Crazy Charlies and gotchas in white, tan or brown. Chico Fernandez's snapping shrimp, borski's slider and the bonefish special are popular flies in Florida, I would imagine they are equally effective on bonefish anywhere.

You might even think about adding a few of the Christmas Island flies to your arsenal.

In addition there are more than just bonefish out there. Add a few chartreuse over white cloussers.