Fly Tying
JohnP

Ray Bergman swap

Flytyman, that is ONE hell of a Brown. Nice fish, care to give up your secret hole, just kidding.

John, I need an address please.

:thumbup:

Thanks, that's great to hear, I was ready to tie up another dozen! Now I can concentrate on tying flys for some other swaps I'm in.

flytyman1

post-29583-1292283502_thumb.jpg

You could tie up another dozen and send them to me. Just kidding. That is a great fish, by the way.

Flytyman, that is ONE hell of a Brown. Nice fish, care to give up your secret hole, just kidding.

John, I need an address please.

Addy on the way.

The hooks used for the Bergman Collection;

A brief discussion with Don Bastian reveals that the "Bergman Collection" of wet flies are tied on Mustad #3399 in size #6.

If this surprises some, we need to recall the flies were tied for a notoriously naieve species (brook trout) and at a time when the fishing pressure was much lighter than in modern times. There are tying instruction notes accompanying some of these patterns that indicate entire feathers were sometimes used as opposed to feather slips, denoting the degree of lack of sophistication of the target species these flies were intended to catch.

I thought some might be curious. I began to wonder when trying to tie the Blue Jay, and I tried using jay scapular feathers for the wings and discovered there was no way to use a feather tip on hooks as small as #12 or thereabouts. The distinctive feather pattern is lost when reducing the feather tip to the correct proportions for such small hooks. So I contacted Don.

Enquiring minds wanted to know. :rolleyes:

A great set of flies arrived today from Utyer. :yahoo: Thanks so much for the extras. :headbang:

I mailed my flies today.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, I will keep my eyes peeled.

Some awesome Colonel Fuller's arrived today from Crackleback. Fantastic job on the tying and thanks so much for the extras, Mike. :yahoo:

As it stands now, with a week and a half to go before the due date, I now have five sets of flies in hand, three people have requested addys and Salmonid, Student4ever, Deeky and Dezod are no doubt busily tying away. When I get all the flies in hand I will post pictures of all the fine work this swap has elicited.