Fly Tying
zug buggin

Tiny Winter BWO Nymph

what rivers in north Georgia are you fishing? I spent the better part of 6 years studying those waters and may be able to give you some advice and some killer patterns just for that region. One material that is easy and makes a very effective bwo and hendrickson nymph imitation is golden pheasant tail. Hungarian Partridge is good for the tails and legs...I remember one afternoon on the Toccoa I was using a size 20 bwo nymph made with hung. partridge tail and legs w/ dk. tan rabbit dubbing (mottled w/ marker) and a turkey wing case and it slayed! A guide that I tied for made his way down to me on his drift boat w/ a client.....they said the morning was slow so I gave him a few of the same pattern and well....you can guess the rest :D .....and if all else fails....throw a thunder head!

Your fly looks nice, but one thing I would like to point out is that you must take into account what type of nymph you are tying. Baetis are swimmers so their bodies are thin and slender so they can scoot through the water. Frank Sawyer style Pheasant tails do a nice job with this. I believe you may have also posted this question on NGTO, so I don't know if you read my post there, but you really need to look at the Big Bear Baetis nymph as I believe this is the pattern you are looking for..... Hope this helps, now grab your nymph and come over to the Chattooga because I believe it will slay them there....

what rivers in north Georgia are you fishing? I spent the better part of 6 years studying those waters and may be able to give you some advice and some killer patterns just for that region. One material that is easy and makes a very effective bwo and hendrickson nymph imitation is golden pheasant tail. Hungarian Partridge is good for the tails and legs...I remember one afternoon on the Toccoa I was using a size 20 bwo nymph made with hung. partridge tail and legs w/ dk. tan rabbit dubbing (mottled w/ marker) and a turkey wing case and it slayed! A guide that I tied for made his way down to me on his drift boat w/ a client.....they said the morning was slow so I gave him a few of the same pattern and well....you can guess the rest :D .....and if all else fails....throw a thunder head!

I spend most of my time on the bigger Rivers, Chattahoochee, Chatoogga, Hiawassee, Toccoa, Clinch. I would love any advice or suggestions you are willing to give.

BWO's and Baetis are one of my favorite patterns to tie...mainly, because I encounter them consistently throughout the year in waters that I FF. I have noticed that the color of these critters changes in Spring and Fall. The Spring colors seem to run more light olive or gray and the Fall colors from tan to light brown...this is just on the lower Owens River here in CA on the Eastern slope of the Sierras. I carry a lot of different colors to match conditions. My favorite patterns are the PT, Krystal Emerger and Bat Wing Baetis...this is something I have been working on recently:

SPLITCASEBAETIS_4_.jpg

Split Case Baetis

If you want to go CRAZY...follow the links here:

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/2009/10/0...bwo-more-of-em/

and, you will get an idea of the variations of the BWO/Baetis that I carry...

Douglasville, Eh...I grew up in Carrollton...know it well!!! Keep on tyin'

PT/TB :thumbup: