Fly Tying
j43jacko

Fly Swaps?

Someone proposes a swap for a certain fly style. A list is compiled, time frame set then you tie the number of flies for those in the swap 10 folks nine flies. Then you mail them to the swap meister in a package with another package inside which self addressed to you and with the proper amount of postage. When the finish date is reached the SM will send your set of flies back to you.

There's also some good information in the posts pinned at the top of the swaps category. You do need to participate in three swaps before hosting one. They are a lot of fun and a great way to get a look at what other people are tying and add some cool patterns to your fly boxes.

Ive been interested in participating in one myself for a long time. Im just afraid of being that guy who doesnt get his flies in on time or something. Im somewhat fearful that my flies would suck but I like to think that I wouldnt sign up for it if I wasnt confident in the pattern I was tying.

Ive been interested in participating in one myself for a long time. Im just afraid of being that guy who doesnt get his flies in on time or something. Im somewhat fearful that my flies would suck but I like to think that I wouldnt sign up for it if I wasnt confident in the pattern I was tying.

Fly swaps are great for the opposite of this reason - they challenge you as a tyer. It is always good to exercise your abilities and knowledge of patterns - fly swaps are an effective means of doing so. Likewise, you get to see, touch, and feel other peoples submissions - helping you to further expand your understanding of fly construction, materials usage, etc.

Fly swaps are great for the opposite of this reason - they challenge you as a tyer. It is always good to exercise your abilities and knowledge of patterns - fly swaps are an effective means of doing so. Likewise, you get to see, touch, and feel other peoples submissions - helping you to further expand your understanding of fly construction, materials usage, etc.

I dont deny any of that. One day I will do it.

I am in my first swap right now and having a blast. I am a beginner tier so it does help me with techniques and consistancy