Fly Tying
bgause1

Blue Blazes

So this was my first attempt at a classic type salmon fly. I had some random materials laying around I felt like trying out and this is what I came up with. I call it "Blue Blazes" I dont know what the blue feathers are other than some type of hackle feathers. And then its just some black feathers, floss, oval tinsel, and thread. I know the head is a bit big and the tinsel spacing needs work. Also the feathers are kind of curved. Any way to make them lay flat so that they look better when tied? I figured maybe I could flatten them in a book or something. Any ideas? Overall I'm fairly pleased with the results. Its not a style Im familiar with really. So I think it could have been worse.

post-18649-1292120679_thumb.jpg

You could flatten them in a book prior to tying or glue the feathers together with a workable fixative similar to assembling a grey ghost. You did a great job for a first attempt, I know I've been frustrated with classic salmon patterns since I don't often tye them. Maybe use a thinner thread in the future to help with thread control.

awesome first attempt!! I have playing around with some as well. I am struggling keeping a nice uniform body

Not bad for a first, you should try to make the head smaller.....The floss should be more smooth, do this by making the underbody smoother, the body is pretty thick too....the tail isn't bad, and I like the wings! There are way to many ribs as well, they also should be more evenly spaced....but overall Not bad at all for a first fly!! KEEP TYING SALMON FLIES!!!!

You are braver than I. I love the salmon flies but I don't dare try to tye one yet. I would really like to get into artistic salmon fly tying at some point. I need to get some floss first and work on some more techinques but I will get there eventually.