Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bob2935

Indexer Feature on the Baracude Vise

Just wondering what other people feel about the indexer feature on the Dyna King Barracuda vise. Is it a gimmick or do people really use it. I tie commercially and love my Supreme for traditional flies but believe it or not when you work in front of one vise for hours a day I get sick of working in front of the same vise and it is nice to change up. Also own the HMH, Regal and the Renzeti Master (my least favorite, it's about eight years old and I do not like how it feels cramped when you are working from the back of the hook). From my experience for commercial tying the traditional vise position is better than the rotary style because shifting the vise to different positions does slow you down. Been tying commercially since the age of 14 and now 50. Learned from Elsie Darbee and love those Catskill flies and that whole tradition. Have worked for Mary Dette over the last 16 years and she is such a class act. Currently live on the banks of Caledonia NY's Spring Creek. This is my first post. Any feedback on the Dyna King rotaries would be appreciated and do I go with the indexing feature. There is a ton of BS in fly fishing merchandise and am tying to avoid silly options.

Thanks Bob at [email protected]

I have an Ultimate indexer that I have actually removed the indexer screw from. I totally don't use it. I think the indexer feature is nice for drying epoxy heads evenly, but if you are production tying, I'd imagine you wouldn't be drying epoxy flies in the jaws of your vise anyways. The selling point of the ultimate indexer, for me, was the tilting head (for those tiny little Spring Creek midges) and not the indexing feature. All in all the vise is amazing, I've tied hundreds of flies on it already (had it for a couple months so far) and it is a pleasure to use. This vise is an upgrade from an Anvil Atlas that was OK but access to the back of the hook on small dries was tough. The bigger size of the Dyna-King opens up the area behind the hook much more. Of course, I'm partial to true-rotaries so this is just my opinion.

I have an Ultimate indexer that I have actually removed the indexer screw from. I totally don't use it. I think the indexer feature is nice for drying epoxy heads evenly, but if you are production tying, I'd imagine you wouldn't be drying epoxy flies in the jaws of your vise anyways. The selling point of the ultimate indexer, for me, was the tilting head (for those tiny little Spring Creek midges) and not the indexing feature. All in all the vise is amazing, I've tied hundreds of flies on it already (had it for a couple months so far) and it is a pleasure to use. This vise is an upgrade from an Anvil Atlas that was OK but access to the back of the hook on small dries was tough. The bigger size of the Dyna-King opens up the area behind the hook much more. Of course, I'm partial to true-rotaries so this is just my opinion.

I was hoping that the indexing feature allows you to tie in eight different fixed positions. Really like the vise to be fixed for pro tying in part because you don't have time to keep shifting the vise around. Hope that makes sense.

Bohemian Bob

I was hoping that the indexing feature allows you to tie in eight different fixed positions. Really like the vise to be fixed for pro tying in part because you don't have time to keep shifting the vise around. Hope that makes sense.

Bohemian Bob

The indexing feature would definitely tighten down enough to lock it down for tying. I have my vise set up so that when I rotate the jaws, they hold their position without locking. The tension screw on the back of the vise is enough to hold it in any position.

I use the index feature ..... I don't tie commercially either. Initially I thought its biggest advantage would be for material placement on tubes. I have since found it to be very useful for hooks as well. I don't tie small stuff either so I should probably clarify that too. If you lock out the index feature it becomes just as rock solid as any other vise offered. I never do though. I also find some use for the knurled screw outside of material spring/clip. (The one closest to you comes in handy for holding open dub loops if I need to prep more material to insert.)

Were I looking to tie just trout flies I would give the J-vise a hard look also. Similar price range and very good craftsmanship. No indexing and perhaps a bit more cramped up for real estate but access to a small hook itself is very good with the appropriate jaw.

Agreed on the renzitti being horribly cramped. As far as the indexer Ive used it and had no use for it all.