Fly Tying
Kingfisher

Feather Wing Streamer Swap

On the heels of the hair-wing streamer swaps that are currently in progress, I thought I'd suggest a feather-wing streamer swap. Not for "beginner's stuff" like buggers, and not for deceivers, but rather patterns in the classic or Rangely technique (ghosts, for example). These need not be actual documented patterns, they can be your own creation, so long as they adhere to the overall criteria that qualify a streamer as a Rangely. You do not need to have jungle cock eyes necessarily, but some form of feather eyes will be a plus (i.e. guinea fowl, wood duck, etc.). For the sake of consistency, how about we all tie on sz. 6 hooks, with a minimum shank length of 4XL. I will be tying on TMC 300 hooks (6XL).

Typical swap rules apply, with my offer to pay for return shipping in return for an extra fly, otherwise please include a SASE. Let's set the deadline for sign-up as Friday, Nov. 5th, and the due-date as Friday, December 3rd.

So the list...

1. Me (Kingfisher) - Greyhound

2. cornmuse

3. tdeyette

4. CharlieD

5. welshtyer

6. Uncletube

Nope, not bored, but the open fishing season in this area is essentially at a close so I'll have plenty of time to do some tying. Besides that, the weather is supposed to get pretty nasty pretty soon; supposedly this Winter is going to be a particularly nasty one in the NE.

I actually have another idea about a Thanksgiving swap in which every pattern must employ... you guessed it... turkey!

I thought about a theme swap too but there's so much overlap from Thanksgiving into the Christmas season I'm not sure we wouldn't end up with brown and orange flies dressed with sparkly ornaments! ohmy.gif

You can count me in for this one. Size 6, 6xl ro 8xl featherwing streamers. Not sure what I'll tie, though I have a beautiful silver badger neck that is just begging for me to fire off a dozen light spruce flies. Or maybe something else....??? I'll have to ponder. Either way, this is a swap I'm definitely up for - especially since its "buggerless"!

Joe C.

Charlie - That's great, I'll add you to the list.

Welshtyer - I'm not opposed to anyone from the UK joining, but I'm not sure of the shipping regulations or costs, either. Can someone tell me if there are regulations involved with sending flies tied with feathers across the Atlantic? The other thing to think about is the cost of postage and how we would handle that.

You'll be fine. I've done quite a few UK swaps with no problem at all (including myself hosting a UK swap once lol). Just put fishing flies on it and you should be fine. Just have them paypal you the fees, or have them send some sterling in bill form (no coins since they usually won't take them at your bank).

UT - You're in.

Jerry - That's a good idea re: paying for shipping re: PayPal. Welshtyer, if you're willing to send me a couple of pounds in the package or paying for shipping with PayPal, I don't see why there should be any problems.

Oh yeah, I do alot of UK transactions (both to and from) and paypal is great. You can convert your currency into Sterling and they can convert theirs into US dollars. So no confusion.

hi kingfisher,dont mind paying postage through paypal,should be able to get the flies to you by the deadline,how many required? any choice of pattern?

regards welshtyer

Welshtyer - Thanks for the update re: shipping. We haven't closed the swap sign-up yet; I will post again on Saturday after everything is finalized with the total number of flies needed. As for the pattern, it's up to you, so long as it adheres to the guidelines laid out in the first post.