Fly Tying
ghostdncr

Winter's Hope variant

No doubt this will upset a purist or three, but I can't recall ever seeing the Winter's Hope tied using all hair. Thought it worthwhile to give it a go and see what I could manage. I tied this one on a #6 Gamakatsu hook and despite the weak dye job on the orange bucktail, it turned out much as I'd envisioned. Next, I'll tie some of these on a much larger hook, probably 2/0 or thereabouts depending on what I have available. The Winter's Hope was developed by Bill McMillan of Washougal, WA and his original recipe (from his excellent book "Dry Line Steelhead") calls for a Partridge 3/0 to 6/0 standard salmon hook.

WintersHope003.jpg

Thanks, Mr. Vegas!

Here's the 4/0 version shown above the #6 I posted yesterday. I really enjoy tying this hair variant, but wonder if it wouldn't benefit from being tied a bit more sparse?

WintersHope002.jpg

Great looking pattern, and you did a fine job at tying the fly. I would still like to see some yellow/orange in the pattern to be a Winter's Hope variant. Of course just my opinion.