Fly Tying
JeffNV

Anyone Tying on an A.K. Best Vise?

I just purchased a used A.K. Best vise for a fantastic price! I don't know much about these vises as they haven't been made for a number of years. Can anyone give me their opinions on this vise, i.e. pro's, con's, how they rate with other vises, quality, functionality, etc? My vise has two screws to hold the third hand, material clip, or whatever it is called, but it didn't come with one. Is it still possible to buy one somewhere? Finally, the vise is in excellent condition - what do you think the value of this vise is? Thanks in advance!

The value ought to be high. From what I've heard it's a top notch vise. However be careful with the jaws, several times have I heard rumours about the jaws being somewhat brittle.

I have no experience of the vise myself though.

Enjoy your new vise! :)

I have been looking for one of these for a couple years.

I don't know where you might find a third hand. The manufacturer has no remaining inventory and they have been out of production for many years.

The first run of jaws were manufactured to too much hardness and are quite brittle.

The second generation jaws are softer and there isn't the same breaking problem. But the reputation was already tarnished and AK's venture suffered. McKenzie bought the rights and built their version for awhile but it never took off, either.

Problem is, I don't know how you distinguish the two jaws apart. (Unless you break the jaws).

Good luck with it. I think they're well designed and a high quality vise but for the early bad jaws.

I'm not positive, but I think there is a section in AK's book, Production Flytying, on how to make the third hand.

There was mention of this on either this board or the FAOL board not long ago. You might do a search.

Don't know the value but I think it is a very sought after vise.

Dave

I'm not positive, but I think there is a section in AK's book, Production Flytying, on how to make the third hand.

There was mention of this on either this board or the FAOL board not long ago. You might do a search.

Don't know the value but I think it is a very sought after vise.

Dave

Third Hand: In the Second Edition soft cover version of the book it is on page 9 and shows images of two versions.