Fly Tying
flytyer166

beginner fly tying

im 14 years old and i sell flies at two stores in michigan and i have flies in my inventory that have been in my inventory for the three years that i have been selling them for. in turn, i took the ones that have never sold and want to put new ones in but cant seem to find the right patterns that i think will sell. please give me any possible patterns that you think would help out my bussiness and i will be gratefull.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

also if you are interested in looking at or buying my flies i will be more then happy to send you pictures or something of the sort.

Look for the empty bins in the store, those usually are the patterns that are selling. Don't forget to take into account seasonal variations. Have you considered asking the owners what sells and what they need?

- Charlie

the owner doesnt have a clue what hes doing. he lets me handle everything and actually i give him ideas instead of him giving me ideas. when you say check the empty bins, do you mean in my inventory or from other shops?

the owner doesnt have a clue what hes doing. he lets me handle everything and actually i give him ideas instead of him giving me ideas. when you say check the empty bins, do you mean in my inventory or from other shops?

Do both if you can that way you can see what is selling the most that way you do not have to reclaim your flies because they didn't sell and congrats for being your age and being able to tie good enough to sell to a shop. lol wish i could do that.

thank you. ive been tying and making lures for three years now and has been very rewarding but i am just having a very hard time figuring out what flies to invest my time into. my stock consists of about 600-650 flies and when i have that many you cant make mistakes on what to make so i think i will do what you said at nearby fly shops and see whats selling.

If you could i would find someone that owns a shop that knows what they are doing. And ask them what flies are hot for now, and just keep asking him as seasons change.

take some time and go through this site. There are links to tons of michigan fly shops and webpages. See what they have to offer and also give some of them a call and ask what are the hot flies for right now or for any season you choose. It will take some due diligence on your part to figure it out but with the right efforts I am sure everyone on the site below and links from that site will be willing to help out. Heck you might get more clients that way too.

http://www.michiganonthefly.com/Reports.htm