Fly Tying
oatka

Guys, Flies & Pies: Feb. 19th 2011 - Rochester NY

34144_132521583447529_132510110115343_201195_5257731_n.jpg

Join us next month on February 19th 2011 for the 4th annual Guys, Flies & Pies fly tying night. There will be tables for your vise, pizza for dinner, and prizes to win! Bring your vise and get your flies stocked back up for the spring, or refill boxes to get you through winter fishing. This year we will have a few tying demos for those who would like to watch others tie a few local patterns.

Date: Feb 19th 2011

Time: 3pm – Midnight (Pizza at 6pm, Raffles around 7:30pm)

Cost: $12 at the door, $10 in advance (see website)

Also check out the GFP Facebook fan page and ‘like’ it too. You will see fishing related posts, event updates, and the event listed on there too. Make sure to spread the word and invite your Facebook friends to the page and to the event!

More info available at www.GuysFliesAndPies.com.

Bring your vise & your appetite!

Don't forget to join us this coming Saturday!

We'll have 3 rods in the raffle (one a full set up with everything needed to fish), a reel, some flies by Day5, and some other great stuff!

Doors open at 3pm, See you then!

Mike - I just wanted to send a quick note to say what a great time the GFP event was last evening. I really enjoyed it, and the pizza was worth the drive. :D Outstanding job, once again. Thank you to you and your wife and the vendors who helped sponsor the event. Hope to see you again at a future GFP event. :thumbup: :punk:

Ray - I'm glad you were able to make it out this year! I hope your nephew had a good time too.

Here's a picture of you and Jon. I was talking to him later and we both loved those foam bugs you had. I loved the pained eyes.

I also heard you played taxi on the way home. I'm sure that was appreciated. Thanks for helping out!

See you next year!

post-6177-1298296877_thumb.jpg

My nephew is a quiet kid, so it's hard to tell how much he liked the fly tying, but I can tell you he LOVED the pizza. He ate two more pieces as we were going out the door. If you ran out of pizza, it was probably due to my nephew. :D

I really enjoyed talking to Jon. He came back to my vise a couple times during the evening to watch me tye flies. When he first came over, he had a couple flies he just finished tying and wanted to show me. I asked him if we could trade flies and gave him one of the "Los Alamos Ants" in exchange for one of his proud flies. He later watched me tye a foam beetle, a foam-headed minnow and a soft hackle pattern. I was amazed by his focus. He stood at my elbow and watched each step, like a hawk. I think Jon is already hooked on fly tying.

I had never met Lucas or his buddy before, but we talked about all things fishing on the whole ride home, just like old friends. Real nice guys. Glad I was able to help them out.

Ray - Thank you for being so patient and kind to my son Jonathan at the Guys Flies and Pies event. You and your flies were all he talked about on the way home and all next day. You really have a wonderful way of teaching what you know at the vise. You can check out some of his fishing adventures with me, his brother and sister and Lucas and his daughter at my blog page http://www.brianonthefly.blogspot.com/ and at the JP Ross website http://www.jprossflyrods.com/staff/fishing_log/

I'm including a photo of his first fly caught trout last summer on Oatka creek.

Thanks again for being such a wonderful mentor to the next generation of fly fishermen and tiers!!

Brian Bradfield

Thanks Brian. You made my day. Tell Jon that I have his fly displayed above my tying table. It's a keeper. ;)

I checked out the photos on you blog, and I can see you are doing a wonderful job teaching the next generation. The photos of the kids along the stream are priceless. They grow up fast, so take lots of pictures.

Hope to see you at a future GFP event.

Maddog - the winner of Steve's awesome rod was a guy named Lou. I worked with him for about 4.5 years until he got an early retirement about a year ago. The fun part of the story is that about 6 months ago some jerk broke into his truck and stole a brand new welder (with the receipt), and ALL his fishing gear....spin fishing gear. So, winning Steve's rod which was matched up with a reel and line gets him back in the game.....as a FLY fisherman!

Turnout was great! We also had a record number of women tying and children too!

I'm going to post up a report after I get the final group of pictures from one of the guys photographing, until then, here's a few more!

Here are some custom made reels

post-6177-1298547773_thumb.jpg

One of the youngest tiers of the night

post-6177-1298547741_thumb.jpg

Lou accepting his Midwest Custom Fly Rod

post-6177-1298547837_thumb.jpg

The demo table

post-6177-1298547892_thumb.jpg