Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Anyone Else use Zelon (not antron, not poly) for wings??

Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon flies owns the world's supply of Zelon. He bought it all when the fiber manufacturer discontinued it as a rug yarn.

Not quite true. I have been there many times. The available zelon at that time was purchased by two companies: Blue Ribbon Flies and Umpqua.

Does anyone know whether Zelon/Z-Lon is sold packaged for other uses like some other synthetic yarns are or is it possibly also known by another name? My Google search under those two names left a mystery.

If the urban legend of Zelon/Zlon can be believed, the answer is "no." Supposedly Blue Ribbon Flies and John Bett are the sole sources of this product (although it has been distributed by Orvis, Metz, Umpqua, etc.). Take that for what it is worth. Blue Ribbon is the much more affordable source of the two. There are comparable and more readily available products. One is distributed by Hareline called "Sparkle Emerger Yarn" and another is called "Web Wing" and both will serve as zlon substitutes.

Finally, about the "water absorbing properties" of antron, I'm pretty sure this is over-exaggerated, especially by fans of zlon. Treat antron, or any simliary nylon carpet fiber, with flotant, and it will float just fine. YMMV.

sparkle emerger yarn is a trilobal antron, not z-lon.

Ribbon and Umpqua have all of it. The other companies simply buy it from them to distribute.

I like to use z-lon for occasion when i dont want matting. I like to use antron when i do want matting.

So yes i use lon for wings and posts. Antron for drowned flies and emergers(extremely sparse!)

Look into Montana fly companies z-yarn. Supposed to be z-lon yarn???????/ I have it and it does exhibit many of the properties of z-lon. But how did they get it????????? hmmmmmm

Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon flies owns the world's supply of Zelon. He bought it all when the fiber manufacturer discontinued it as a rug yarn.

Not quite true. I have been there many times. The available zelon at that time was purchased by two companies: Blue Ribbon Flies and Umpqua.

My understanding is that Mathews has an arrangement with Umpqua. Of course, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time....

My understanding is that Mathews has an arrangement with Umpqua. Of course, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time....

Blue Ribbon said that the world stock was purchased by Umpqua and Blue Ribbon. I think they would know.

Blue Ribbon said that the world stock was purchased by Umpqua and Blue Ribbon. I think they would know.

I offer this information from Blue Ribbon Flies' web site:

ANTRON VS. ZELON

THE AGE OLD QUESTION

These two terms are mistakenly used by tiers. The fact is, antron and zelon are entirely different materials and should not be confused with each other.

Antron is a synthetic fiber that imitates the natural characteristics of silk and is best thought of in this manner. It has a fuzzy feel and it subtly adds sparkle and sheen to your flies because of this silky nature. It’s primarily used for wet flies and nymphs, as the individual fibers tend to stick to one another and mat when wet. Antron makes excellent wet fly wings and bodies when you want to add some motion and sheen; in a more limited use it can be used on dry flies in conjunction with other materials that will float the fly.

Zelon is a synthetic fiber that is made to hold its shape. The individual fibers do not mat when wet, retaining translucency and luster. The fibers also have a tendency to crinkle, making zelon the best material to use for natural looking shucks and wings. It’s a great dry fly material when tied loosely on the hook, and, it’s a great wet fly material when a tightly wound, segmented body is desired. Check out the Micro Zelon for small flies.

In short, think antron when you tie bodies and wet fly wings. Think zelon when you tie shucks, dry fly wings, wet fly wings, or bodies. A final note: Zelon can only be obtained from Blue Ribbon Flies or Umpqua. See our Zelon page for the full story.

I've used it for the wings on spinners and on comparaduns. I like it better than antron. Antron seems to curl up after a while.

Can you post a picture of one of your zelon winged flies?

Thanks

I've used it for the wings on spinners and on comparaduns. I like it better than antron. Antron seems to curl up after a while.

Thanks

I don't have a photo on hand at the moment. I will try and get a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Thanks

I don't have a photo on hand at the moment. I will try and get a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Thanks. Look forward to it

I offer this information from Blue Ribbon Flies' web site:

ANTRON VS. ZELON

[usual fluff snipped]

So because one of the only distributors of zelon says the two are different we should believe them? Yeah, right. Pull the other one...

They are different, but not different enough that you can't use one for the other in a pinch, plus there are any number of other subsitutes. I like zlon, however you want to spell it, but the hype of its uniqueness is a bit too much to take seriously.

What about Sparkle yarn? Is that also marketed with a different name for a different purpose than a trailing shuck as in the Sparkle Dun? Is the yarn actually Zelon or Antron? Which of the three are "tri-lobal"?

post-20854-1296844088_thumb.jpg

What about Sparkle yarn? Is that also marketed with a different name for a different purpose than a trailing shuck as in the Sparkle Dun? Is the yarn actually Zelon or Antron? Which of the three are "tri-lobal"?

If you watch Craig Mathews on you tube or visit his shop he will tell you that the shuck material he uses on the fly he invented (sparkle dun) is zelon which they sell and are one of the two major suppliers of - other being Umpqua - which probably distributes to other companies under various names.

If you want to be sure just order some from blue ribbon flies and compare to what you have