Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
violinjock

tube fly streamers for driftless area browns?

One of the rivers I fish in the driftless area has a very good trout population and I've seen an awful lot of chubs and small trout from 5-9 inches with fresh rake marks. Due to the terrain, I can only bring in one rod comfortably in many of these areas and I want the versatility of being able to switch over to nymphs quickly without hiking two miles back to get a lighter rod. So, the only flies that seemed to fit the bill while sporting the action I was looking for are tube flies with materials from x-tra select craft fur to Baitfish Emulator. I was wondering if there are any other crazies out there who are also using tube flies for these inland stream trout, what made you switch over, and if you have any ideas or suggestions I could try? Thanks a lot in advance!

also you could try tying string leech style flys in chub colors and shapes.

because the fly is tied on a hook thats cut away and a smaller hook in the rear of the fly is added you can get a giant fly that weighs very little.

you dont actually say what size rod you are casting.

a different line and leader on a spare spool could also save the day with streamers.

also you could try tying string leech style flys in chub colors and shapes.

because the fly is tied on a hook thats cut away and a smaller hook in the rear of the fly is added you can get a giant fly that weighs very little.

you dont actually say what size rod you are casting.

a different line and leader on a spare spool could also save the day with streamers.

My bad!!! I'm using a 9 foot 5 weight. I will research this string leech and see if it provides the action and color scheme possibilities I'm looking for. Thanks!!!

These are some of what I've come up with so far testing in my 210 gallon tank and casting in my back yard. Was wondering if anyone is doing something similar for the inland stream trout? I'd love to swap notes.

post-31310-1297219913_thumb.jpg

post-31310-1297219933_thumb.jpg

post-31310-1297219964_thumb.jpg

post-31310-1297219980_thumb.jpg

the color is up to you

most string leech flies have dumbbell eyes on the front for a jiggy action

because your using a 5wt maybe you want a bead or bead chain eyes up front instead

OK, I looked up the string leech. My questions are a) does the strip tangle with the string at all? and B) how heavy does that fly get when wet? In my experience, rabbit strips become like a wet sock when wet so I am hesitant to tie big bunny flies unless I grab my heavier fly rod. Thanks!

those flies look good. i have never fished a tube fly. but i fish the driftless alot with a 5 wt and through #4 waited buggers and clousers on it no problem. small streams mean short casts. but out of curiosity what dos one need to tie tube flies? also where are you fishing WI,MN,IA,IL? I fish MN.

esoxfeind, I am fishing Wisconsin's part of the driftless. About half the areas I like to fish require really long casts and the other half require very short casts...sometimes almost reaching around a tree and dapping. However, I have some streamer water I love fishing and that's what I like to use bigger streamers in. Only problem is that the water may be big, but it's calm enough I can't use spinning gear and drop heavy hardware in on top of the fish, so the fly it is. The tube flies I'm tying land really softly by design. I am just wondering if anyone else thinking outside the box has gone in this direction. If you're fishing #4 buggers, then my guess is that you're also finding some really nice fish!!!

yes lots of nice fish! average about 17 in. biggest i have ever cought was 28" big male, i have had a few other monsters on but not landed them.

i just finished 7 double bunny minnows for brown and rainbows and they are all the tubes with 3/8th dumbbell eyes

voodoo,

That's exactly the type of reply I was hoping for. Would you mind posting a pic of one of the tube double bunnies you use? I am incredibly interested.

Esoxfeind, a 28 inch male is gigantic. i am hoping I can C&R a fish near that size this season! I was using streamers smaller than the #4 before I switched to tubes and I got some nice fish, but the average fish went about 12 inches. A buddy of mine started using bigger presentations and, if anything, he actually started catching more fish as well as bigger fish. So, I was a touch shy about joining the band wagon so late in the game!

here you go, and the Russian intruder in the database is another tube that kills browns.

post-23577-1297571531_thumb.jpg

funny thing is i caught the 28" trout on a size 14 nymph and most of the really big fish i hook in to are as well. biggest streamer caught fish is 22".

Esoxfeind - im with you, i catch most of my big brown (22-28") nymphing. I do however get larger bulls on larger streamers. 18-23"bows and browns love streamers out here