Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xXFLYFISHXx

How am I doing?

Hey,

Not realy new to the forum but before this I have been using it for information. I have been tying flys for about two years now and I think I am getting the hang of it. Any one have any areas of improvement for me?

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

Thanks

-xXFLYFISHXx

Thanks to both of you,

The Royal Coachmens wings are very hard to make, it took forever to get right. I think I might have them backwards though. :huh: :wallbash:

a few less wraps on the head and they are perfect. great stone it will work well right now on the Bow, they are doing a molt right now and for the next 3 ish weeks. That damsel will do well too in the summer

a few less wraps on the head and they are perfect. great stone it will work well right now on the Bow, they are doing a molt right now and for the next 3 ish weeks. That damsel will do well too in the summer

I will have to the bow some time within three weeks then if the weather cooperates. I wish I had a guide because im kinda stuck right in a small part of calgary (from the zoo to the bird sanctuary because Im to young to drive and have to walk or bike down to the river) and im lucky if I get one. I know there is fish their but I dont know how to fish them like I dont the depths of water and the speed of the current to go in.

in that stretch id go streamers and sink tips. but its dangerous in the winter there with the crazy ice shelfs

My only suggestion (on the stone) is make the antennae smaller. They are not as big as the tails on the real bug. And maybe put the bead over them so they are in the very front.

In the first picture, is a worm that was supposed to sink?

If so, why yo did the body from foam? :unsure:

I would replace he foam with some mohair, to make it move a lot.

In the second picture is that a chironomid?

If so...i know that the chironomids are tyied on small hooks, please correct me if I m wrong

Picture 3 nice stonefly :yahoo: , but a littel less dubbing makes it perfect ;)

Picture 4, the damsel, very nice, from what are the eyes made off?

Pciture 5 the foam hopper, again, to much foam, dont get me wrong, i see there too littel space from the body to the point of the hook. If you want to keep the exactly design, choose a bigger gape hook that will help you set the hook more easy :)

Picture 6 the Coachman...that is perfect...and it will chatch fish a lot of fish :yahoo:

Picture 7 The streamer....ummmm i have to give you my adress...i never make it that perfect :wallbash: :bugeyes:

Picture 8 I ges it shoul be a prince nymph...try to give to all yor nymphs a carrot shape ;)

Picture 9..Emerger?...again to much materials...

Picture 10...is that marabou in the tail? By my taste...that tail must be a littel bit more longer and slim

Sometimes less is better ;) better for the fish

PS hope you dont get this wrong...butt a critical eye get's you farther faster ;)

In the first picture, is a worm that was supposed to sink?

If so, why yo did the body from foam? :unsure:

I would replace he foam with some mohair, to make it move a lot.

In the second picture is that a chironomid?

If so...i know that the chironomids are tyied on small hooks, please correct me if I m wrong

Picture 3 nice stonefly :yahoo: , but a littel less dubbing makes it perfect ;)

Picture 4, the damsel, very nice, from what are the eyes made off?

Pciture 5 the foam hopper, again, to much foam, dont get me wrong, i see there too littel space from the body to the point of the hook. If you want to keep the exactly design, choose a bigger gape hook that will help you set the hook more easy :)

Picture 6 the Coachman...that is perfect...and it will chatch fish a lot of fish :yahoo:

Picture 7 The streamer....ummmm i have to give you my adress...i never make it that perfect :wallbash: :bugeyes:

Picture 8 I ges it shoul be a prince nymph...try to give to all yor nymphs a carrot shape ;)

Picture 9..Emerger?...again to much materials...

Picture 10...is that marabou in the tail? By my taste...that tail must be a littel bit more longer and slim

Sometimes less is better ;) better for the fish

PS hope you dont get this wrong...butt a critical eye get's you farther faster ;)

1-The worm look like its made of foam but actualy its like a leather. Not sure how it will sink Ill probly have it behind a stone or a heavyer fly anyways.

2-The chironomid is actualy called a bomber here and you wouldnt beleive the size of the buggers, there absolutly huge!

3-Will put less dubbing on the stone or mayby wax the thread so it will stick better.

4-The damsle eyes are made of very small glass beads put on some mono line and melted to the right width. The body is Lady amherest if anyone wants to know

5-Ill cut my foam smaller for sure on the hopper I agree its a bit chunky.

6-Thanks I think thats my best dry I have ever tied I can never seem to get the wings right

7-I made the leach out of a kinda un expected material called dazzle dubbing. The fibres are so long and just the right color to make a leach.

8-Ill Taper my nymphs better for sure.

9-I was actualy tying this for very picky browns that didnt want to bite anything exept what looked almost exact to the caddis emergers that were hatching(worked great)

10-The tail does look a little funny your right ill try something a little thinner I was trying to copy a fly that I bought.

Thanks for the tips