Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
violinjock

streamer or nymph for trophy trout?

Some guys have said their biggest trout have all come on nymphs and some guys claim their biggest fish are on streamers. I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you guys on whether your biggest fish have come on streamers or nymphs. I even have a buddy who made up a 20-20 club of a 20 in fish on size 20 or smaller fly. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!!! :wallbash:

Who is this "buddy" of yours that made up the 20/20? I have known about that for many many years. I am also a proud member. Took a 23" inch brown on a #20 black soft hackle. I would say from my experience that big soft hackles fished at night will yield trophies. I think your friend is :bs: artist about making that club up. :hyst:

I think it realy depends on the fish, some more agressive will nail streamers while some will be looking for a small nymph. You can get big trout on a size 20 nymph and a size 2 (or bigger) streamer.

there are soo many variables in that question. Spring, Winter, Summer, Fall, species.

I catch more small fish on nymphs but i got a 24" bows, 25" brown, and a 28" bull nymphing gold stones. More fish over all but thats because we can fish 3 at a time here and when a buffet goes bumping by your going to crack the code really quick.

Record bulls, browns, and pike that i know of in this area were pulled on streamers but if you were to try that now you would get maybe 2 or 3 in a day but nymphing you could get 20-30.

hope this helps

p.s my streamers range in size from #14 micro leaches to 10" bunker busters that are all for trout species

Voodoo nailed it although I think the river matters too. I don't hear about many streamers taking fish on the Taylor river which is renowned for fish over 20. However I've had great luck with streamers fishing spawners in other pressured rivers. Who knows why.

like previously said i believe it has alot to do with time of year, what stream your fishing, the flow and color of the stream, what hatches are going on........... To say that you have to use such and such lure to catch the big ones every time is kind of crazy.

when i target big driftless browns i car i box with several types of nymphs and another with a good verity of clousers and buggers. i fish the streamers early in the morning casting down and a cross and have caught many nice fish this way. on the way back up i switch to the nymph. both work well. best thing to do to get that trophy is get to the stream as the sun rise over the hill tops.

My experience is that it totally depends on the season. Early spring when the fish are waking up after a long winter they are hungry and will take anything, throw in a streamer and you have a good chance. In the summertime the fish are more selective and the nymphing is more succesful, but when it gets close to spawning the big male trout get agressive and will take the streamers.

But that's just my theory :)