Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trez

Togen Hooks, anyone have experience with them?

Just the size 20 emerger hook. My 8/0 uni straightened every hook I put in the vise out before the thread would break. Not very pleased about this. But, i've heard their other hooks are decent. Just not the emergers.

Never had that problem, I've tried the dry/wet/streamer and scuds and haven't had aproblem. One thing I do find is that their bronze is a little shiner than other brands bronze.

My experience was the out of 200 hundred i bought about half of them where either dull, out of shape, or half the eye was missing or not punched. I had purchased the continues bend hooks, ie caddis or emerger hooks. This was also some time ago.

I have used the natural bend and emerger (have made a couple of purchases, over 1000 hooks now), both seem a bit on the light side but very sharp.

Not to highjack this thread, but depending on what hooks you need, there's another online shop I've dealt with many times who has Daiichi hooks on sale for $1.95 per 25 pack. Most that I saw are nymph or streamer hooks, but IMO that's a good price for that brand! The first 25 pack will cost you $4.95, as they have a $3 shipping charge, but that's all they charge for the whole order. I won't give the name here, because I don't want to step on the sponsors toes, but if interested send me a PM & I'll share the info. I don't know how long they'll be on sale.

I "found" Togens well over a year ago and I have tied literally 1000's of flies on them. I just made another purchase not quite three days ago. Here is my experience. The hooks do tend to be a bit shinier than other manufacturer's hooks...so what...to me no noticeable difference. The hook count is always accurate in the bag. Nice! They are razor sharp, easy to press down the barbs if you like. I have yet to have one break or straighten, ever.

The only criticism I have and I hope they are reading is that you will definitely find an occassional hook with a deformed eye rendering that hook useless. I am talking maybe 1 in a 100. I personally can take this in stride as the price per hundred is around $7 where as Tiemco are around $5.40 per 25? Even White River Hooks from Bass Pro (a discounter I thought) are $3.99 per 25.

After shipping I still make out like a bandit!

Be sure to try out their Flash "bundles"...waaaaayyy more material per package and again WAY less money. With all the money I spend on fly tying and materials, I look for bargains where I can get them, you should too.

-Searching!!

Searching,

Thanks for the info and the tip about their Flash materials.

Trez

Togen Hooks, anyone have experience with them?

I have tied about 6,000 flies on them in the past year... no problems at all; they are sharp, have a small barb, and are about half the price of other so-called top notch hooks. I started tying in 1954; tied commercially and sold over 200,000 flies. These are quality hooks at more than excellent prices.