Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carolina Fly

Glass Eye Shad Version 2.0

Updated Version 2.0

I don't know if ya'll remember the original pattern but the concept was to create a simple, DURABLE baitfish pattern that could be fished in FRESH and SALT water for any species of fish.

Some problems with the first draft ...

1. Getting the hook to invert on a consistent basis. Even with the lead weight on the top of the hook shank the fly would sometimes refuse to flip.

2. Covering the underbody was a hassle.

So, the new version is built a bit different.

First, I decided to try out the tungsten scud bodies. This was a quick, simple way to get the fly to turn over and ride hook point up. However, before I superglued the body I tied in the tail. The tail can be whatever you want, in this case white saddle hackles. After the tail was tied in I covered the body in brushable superglue. Before the glue dries I sprinkled glitter over the underbody. This creates a sparkly underbody that shines through the finished fly. This also allows the ability to add red for a bleeding underbody or any other color you want. Next the eyes went on. Finally fill in the gaps between the eyes with Clear Cure Goo.

The fly might not look much different but the techniques make it much quicker to tie. Also, I am very confident in the ability of the fly to ride hook up.

Here it is ...

IMG_0169-1.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0167-1.jpg

All the best,

Thomas

I like it. Good modifications. Just a quick question, setup are you using to take the picture (ie what lights, and whats behind the fly.) Thanks

I would also like to know how you do your photos. Also did you ever find out who makes those eyes. I really like them

The fly looks great. I would also like to know the name of the eyes and what type of brushable super glue you are using? I would like to tie some of

these up. BF

I dont wanna step on Carolins Fly's toes or anything , but the super glue that is brushable...probably the gel type of super glue, Home Depot carries it up here in the frozen North. I would like to know about the scud bodies (where to get them) and whether you think clear epoxy would work for the over coat...CCG is just a lil too pricey for me yet...

I beleive his body is a silver braid and the sides are all one eye then its coverd in CGC. just my guess