Fly Tying
Panama Red

Shellcracker Flies

I went freshwater fishing for the first time in over two years :thumbup: had an outstanding time! Had one problem though, couldn't get them to take a fly...sight casting to the beds was easy, the fly would fall, fish would come take a look and wander back into the shade.

Threw these...

P1030292.jpg

P1030294.jpg

We caught plenty of fish on night crawlers and have caught shellcrackers and bream on popping bugs on top...Really want to try them while they're on bed.

P1030280.jpg

P1030277.jpg

P1030285.jpg

nice bunch of redears . I don't see a fly in the group that they should have refused. I have caught buckets of them on leech immitations (black )size 12 and even more on minnow immitations gray\silver size 10 &12 .

PS good luck next time out. I'm jealous. I would love to be on fish like these with my 3wt.

Fred

...maybe some SMALL san juans? Looks like someone is gonna have a good fish fry...

I second what Fred said about the patterns you have. Although, I've been told by some veteran bream fishermen that my Squirrely is the best big bream fly they've ever used; I'm not so sure about that but here is the pattern anyway. Don't get no simpler and you have to cut the white tips off.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern10639.html

Kirk

I've been lurking more and more and posting less and less, but I just wanted to tell Kirk thanks for reminding me about the Squirrely. I'm about to tie up a bunch now. I've never fished them, but it seems like a good imitation of a cricket coloration without the white tips. Kirk, clipping the tips goes against convention, but I'm going to trust you on this one. ;)

I second what Fred said about the patterns you have. Although, I've been told by some veteran bream fishermen that my Squirrely is the best big bream fly they've ever used; I'm not so sure about that but here is the pattern anyway. Don't get no simpler and you have to cut the white tips off.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern10639.html

Kirk

Nice simple fly and nice simple video to show how it's done...Ya musta been in "Nahlins" for a while...I hear just a lil cajun twang there...it's a good thing tho, everyone here ask me if I'm from Texas, Alabama, or Louisiana...guess we all sound alike to a Canuck..LOL!

Thanks Dart and Lykos.

Dart, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lykos, funny about accents; when I was younger and working as a waitor I was always asked if I was from Brooklyn, New York.

Kirk