Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wellman

Czech Nymphs

I am going to start tying about a bunch of these to try under some french nymphing techniques.

Just a couple question about tying the Czech nymphs and Knapek CZ hooks

1) When tying a Czech why use white thread.

2) What are Knapek hook like, preferably their Czech Nymph hooks. If by any chance you have them in in a size 12, 14, and 16 could you take a picture of them compared to a penny or quarter.

Thanks Wellman

I have tried the Knapek hooks, and have mixed feelings about them. They are barbless, with a little longer point, very sharp, and the point has a small offset to possibly provide a little better hooking potential. The quality control is not as good as others, where the eyes are sometimes not fully closed (the tying thread seeks this opening), and sometimes the metal in this area is somewhat square rather than round, potentially providing a thread cutting surface.

One reason for tying with white thread on Czech nymph is that a darker color thread could show through the abdomen once the fly is wet. ... That is only my guess on this subject.

Tiemco and Kamasan B110's are very good, as said before, dark thread might show through the b ody