Fly Tying
rockworm

Evolution Swap

Grey dubbing

Sorry

What is the body made of? Thread?

I'm sorry if I took too much of an evolutionary leap. I really thought I was only changing the wing. It seemed to me throughout this process that everyone was pretty liberal with their hook sizes, even though you had mentioned that size could be your change. I also took evolution to mean that as long as the material was there, it was accounted for. For example I moved the pearl mylar from wing case to tag end. The body stayed the same with the grey dubbing, the red floss rib. I really thought I was only adding 1 thing... a changed wing. I still have 3 weeks and so I am happy to change the picarry fibers to another tailing material and make another nymph. I thought it would be fun to make some sweeping changes while still keeping all the materials from Gdp's fly, I guess I did take some away. Please let me know what you would like me to do. There is plenty of time for me to tie either or both flies.

I thought baitfish because that is the only place we had not gone yet. We had been from nymph to dry and then back again. Cencal tried to make a real evolutionary jump with his mutant fly, but to no avail.

Let me know what you would like me to do

C

Its no wonder it took more than two weeks for Desod to come up with his pattern! I count at least 5 changes to gpd's Easter Miracle. I could insist that we adhere more closely to the rules of this swap (see first post,) but the deadline looms. Therefore, my fly will be called The Missing Link and will be situated between gpd's fly and Desod's. Give me a day or so to visualize what could be halfway between a tiny nymph and a whomping big baitfish....

Desod

As I said, the deadline is looming. If you want to ammend your pattern, please do it quickly. If you have already tyed up your baitfish I will proceed to work up a Missing Link. The choice is yours. But I can't start my design until you give me your decision.

BTW- I didn't count the transformation of mylar wingcase to tag as one of the changes:

-change of hook size (#22 to #2!)

-lose beadhead

-lose peccary tails

-gain bucktails (red and white)

-gain marabou

I can sympathize with your desire to make some sweeping changes. But that's not how evolution works. Generally it proceeds one useful mutation at a time. That's what I was aiming at with this swap.

As I feel like you would prefer something less drastic I will tie the

"Grey Nymphlet"

Hook: #22 TMC 200R

Bead: Black

Thread: Grey 8-0 Uni

Tail: Grey Maribou

Rib: Red Floss

Thorax: Grey Possum

Wingcase: pearl mylar

Abdomen: Grey Possum

Hope that fits the spirit of the swap a little better.

C

Desod

Your Grey Nymphlet is fine. Thanks for relieving me of the burden of finding The Missing Link.

Rockworm I am waiting on a couple more bugs to crawl out of the primordial ooze which I expect to happen tonight, so shoot me an addy and I will get them in the mail this week. Thanks for hosting, this has been a very interesting swap and I can't wait to see the whole swarm assembled.

C- I'm looking forward to seeing your flies. (But no primordial ooze, please!)

Here is the recipe for my mutant:

Grey Midgelet Emerger

hook: #22

thread: grey

shuck: grey marabou

abdomen: Australian 'possum

rib: red floss

wings: pearl mylar

thorax: Australian 'possum

RRSHslayer

Your flies were in my mailbox today. You intended these beauties for bluegill? I bet the Au Sable trout will appreciate them also! Thanks for the extra (which I will try out on my local 'gills.)

Flytyer14's envelope arrived today: One dozen very professional-looking flies!

You know, when I started this swap I thought we would each end up with a dozen oddball creations that would sit forever in their box- just so many amusing curiosities. But I have been most impressed by the sensible patterns and quality of tying of the flies I have seen so far (my own excluded.) These are real fishing flies and I am confident they will catch fish.

Swap update: I have 8 sets of flies in hand- so there are only 4 sets to come. The swap deadline is still 2 weeks off, but I would like to have the flies photographed, assembled, and on their way back to you by June 1, if possible.

The deadline for this swap is just 7 days away. If you haven't mailed your flies yet, please drop me a PM.