Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Deviation to Bead Head Zebra Midge

Hi,

This is a size 16 Zebra Midge. When recently fishing, the trout were really taking a "normal" zebra midge. However, my fishing buddy wondered if there were some way to have the fluff in front of the bead instead of behind it.

Am ready for some "barbs" on this one. Anyway, will let you know if it works, and, if it does, how it compares to the "normal" Zebra. And, I will trim the head fluff a little shorter as well.

IMG_1283.jpg

Hi,

This is a size 16 Zebra Midge. When recently fishing, the trout were really taking a "normal" zebra midge. However, my fishing buddy wondered if there were some way to have the fluff in front of the bead instead of behind it.

Am ready for some "barbs" on this one. Anyway, will let you know if it works, and, if it does, how it compares to the "normal" Zebra. And, I will trim the head fluff a little shorter as well.

IMG_1283.jpg

Tyed this pattern in red and it works.. It catches fish.. MHO, I would just go sparser on the post..

Hi,

IMG_1283.jpg

Tyed this pattern in red and it works.. It catches fish.. MHO, I would just go sparser on the post..

Good point!!!

Mentioned I would shorten the post. Also overdid the post itself to make sure the bead would be stopped.

Thanks,

Byron

Byron, Have fun with it! Keep us posted on how it fishes with, long post, sparse post, short post, post with some flash in it. See if any of the changes makes a difference for you. I'm curious to know myself.

Byron, Have fun with it! Keep us posted on how it fishes with, long post, sparse post, short post, post with some flash in it. See if any of the changes makes a difference for you. I'm curious to know myself.

Will do. How about a picture of your modification of the Zebra?

Will do. How about a picture of your modification of the Zebra?

I'll try and get a good pic today. Right now my Ubuntu PC crashed. So I'm stuck using a PC with windows XP and I have no clue about the software to open and edit pics in from my camera. :dunno:

This is one of my favorite chironomids with gills in front of the bead.

Chromie_13.jpg

Thanks for the photos

NJ Man!!!

Great minds work alike

Nice flies too!!!!

Thanks, Sorry I couldn't get better pics with the cam. But you can get the concept.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Rojo and other midges tyed with gills in front of beads.

Again, Please keep us updated on how your pattern fishes.

Thanks for the photos

NJ Man!!!

Great minds work alike

Nice flies too!!!!

Thanks, Sorry I couldn't get better pics with the cam. But you can get the concept.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Rojo and other midges tyed with gills in front of beads.

Again, Please keep us updated on how your pattern fishes.

Will do. Here's a different version as well. If you look at photos of the chrimonoid, you see wing buds beneath the pupa and the segmentation seems to be copper in color. I know it depends on the stage of the pupa as to it's hemoglobin content, etc.....

IMG_1289.jpg