Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
P.Dieter

Quick Fly Photo Set Up

This is how I light for just a quick snap but maintain quality light. For just a feathered fly the bare daylight lamp is fine but an epoxy/foil popper needs a paper towel loosely rolled around the light to diffuse it more and broaden the source. Stack a couple fly boxes under the vise and grab a little piece of wrinkled up foil for a fill light from below. And just prop up a piece of colored paper for an even background. Results in nice even light, no flash. Crank up the iso on the camera to 400 or more as a little extra noise won't hurt a shot compressed down for the web. (just make sure it's in focus...look for the little "flower" on your controls)

post-2374-1304011221_thumb.jpg

An honest thank you to you...hoping to start doing a little better photos, which may force me to improve my actual tying....

Thank you! I never thought about putting foil underneath the fly. I've always had a problem with not enough light coverage. I'll try the foil trick.