Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

30"+ trout on 5X tippet.

Today I got out with a friend and hooked into a stocked rainbow that was 30"+ and would say it was approx. 8+lbs. Now my question comes into play. What would you do? With a 9' 4wt 5X tippet? And you only C&R all your fish?

1.Do you fight the fish until it rolls overs and comes in so you can grab it without a net?

2.Do you fight the fish just enough to tell the size and what fly it took? Then break it off?

3.Do you say, I don't care what happens to the stocked fish, it doesn't count as a catch until you hold it? And it would be cool to have a pic of it.

Well long story short. I played the fish for a good period of time, and was able to clearly see it took my 2nd fly.So after playing the fish and seeing his size from jumping a few times. I decided to get the fish as close to me as I could. with that being said, I didn't want to stress him out and have him go belly up.I went ahead and just broke him off.

So after hearing all different scenarios on what every one else who witnessed me fighting this fish would of done. I'm asking you guys, what would you have done.

If I caught a 30" stocker around here, it'd be nothing short of a miracle. And amongst my fishing friends, without a picture, a witness, or a body...it may as well have been 130 inches.

If I caught a 30" stocker around here, it'd be nothing short of a miracle. And amongst my fishing friends, without a picture, a witness, or a body...it may as well have been 130 inches.

That's the only good thing about NJ trout fishing. They do stock a few 24"-30" fish at most stocking points each week during in season stocking. Then again in the Fall they stock only once with 15" and above. So this state can grow some nice fish, but they don't know jack when it comes to special regulations & conservation measures like other states pertaining to trout fishing.

I would probably do the same as break it off after I see what fly. Because on that tippet playing the fish too much could also put into danger. So let him swim another day and have the hook rust. Plus he'll have a great story to tell his fish friends.

Intentionally break off? No way. But then again I have a few rivers that pretty much require 5x and smaller and atleast one is full of pigs. I'd play that sucker as aggressively as possible to get him in safely and if I broke off then so be it.

Intentionally break off? No way. But then again I have a few rivers that pretty much require 5x and smaller and atleast one if full of pigs. I'd play that sucker as aggressively as possible to get him in safely and if I broke off then so be it.

I agree. I'd try to get it in as fast as possible. Odds are I'd break it off or bend out the hook in the process but I don't think I could make myself intentionally break off a fish that size.

Gpd4, we have trout that big in Missouri, although they are rare. I'm sure there's more than a few in Taney. Also, I've seen plenty of fish in the two foot range on the Current , so I'd have to guess there's a couple 30" ones hiding somewhere.

-Mike

I most typically fish with 5x and lower sized tippet. I have caught and landed many a fish, my biggest was 26 1/2. I woudl play him aggressively and then spend plenty of time reviving him.

Crackleback, there are tons of big bruisers here in MO and I hit most of them at Roaring...... that's all I will say. LOL

Steve

I've caught my share of 20-25" fish at Taneycomo and I've seen some beasts taken at Montauk & RF...just none on my rods. I know they're here, I just can't seem to catch them...

I most typically fish with 5x and lower sized tippet. I have caught and landed many a fish, my biggest was 26 1/2. I woudl play him aggressively and then spend plenty of time reviving him.

Crackleback, there are tons of big bruisers here in MO and I hit most of them at Roaring...... that's all I will say. LOL

Steve

Roaring river, eh? I haven't fished there in forever. There are a lot of big ones around the state. You just have to know where to look. Besides the aforementioned Current and Lake Taneycomo, I'd have to add the Eleven Point and the North Fork of the White as rivers to go monster hunting here.

-Mike

is it possible to get a trout mounted that you release?like lets say you tell a taxidermist that the trout was so and so large.could he/she do that?