Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
drlip

Tying light and magnification

I am setting up a tying bench and would like some advice on good tying lights and magnification. Any help with brands, types etc would be helpful.

I just have a cheap swing arm desk lamp with magnification that seems OK, though I don't really use the magnifier much because it's poor quality. I think that the important thing here is to use a natural spectrum bulb, I have an ottlite 20 watt that I found on sale and works nicely. On the magnification side, I needed something that I could use with or without my glasses and went with a pair of mageyes, which I've become very fond of. They're comfortable to wear and I can use the right level of magnification for the task at hand by just swapping out the lenses. I highly recommend them.

I am setting up a tying bench and would like some advice on good tying lights and magnification. Any help with brands, types etc would be helpful.

I use a light by OTTLIGHT. the color is really good and is very bright. If you tie at a club or various venue's, the size is good for traveling. Keep an eye on the Joann's Fabrics and Michaels stores for sales. You can get a good deal.

I'm with Frozennole on this one. Get an "Ottlight", Joann Fabrics has them, mine came with a magnifier.They are a fantastic light. I use mine when I'm on the road :rolleyes:

i just bought a new OTTLIGHT on amazon... it was on sale

i'd recomend a general light for the entire bench (so you can see everything), and then a specific light for your vise

PEAK makes a really nice light that attaches to your vise

there were a bunch of poeple using them at the somerset show...

DSC0364-550x450.jpg

DSC0356-550x376.jpg

I bought this set up at AC Moore's around $40.00. Not very travel friendly because the base is pretty heavy. Its a daylight.

post-25560-0-40937900-1307043166_thumb.jpg