Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mybadhabit

ASG Mark lll

Has anyone ever used this vise or know of anyone that has used it and can give a review on it? I need a smaller travel vise and was wondering about this one so any help or advise about it would be a great help.

Thanks

Blane

It looks like this one that J Stockard sells.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category/85000

They are all over the place with different brand names (mostly Terra Tools,) and at many different prices. I would say it would be worth the 28.00. One has to be careful when placing small (smaller than 16,) hooks in the jaws. There is so much pressure on the hook, you need to get a good bit of the bend into the jawa to prevent the vise from spitting them across the room. When you place a small hook properly within these jaws, you loose some access that you need to tie.

They are large and heavy. I recently bought one for my father since he expressed an interest. I personally use a full size HMH and this is much bigger and heavier. If you want a travel vise then this might be too big. Just my $0.02.