Fly Tying
flyfishingheaven

What did you catch your first fish on?

Ok, I assume you mean what fly did you catch your first fish on. If that's the case, it was a polar shrimp tied on an octopus hook (want to say it was probably a size 1/0, but can't remember). Was a nice Hoh River steelhead. Now, onto fish in general. Hmmmmm, that's tough. I know I was 3, but have no idea what I caught my trout on. Will have to say it was probably Pautzke eggs and corn on an old glass trout spinning rod. LOL. I know I had an old green cheap one.

First fish on a fly was a bluegill about 8 1/2" inches long on a modified wooly worm type of creation. Size 8 or 10 about 3x long, black chenille body, grizzly hackle with a gold tinsel rib and 4 white rubber legs for a tail. They would hit it so fast and hard, forceps were needed to remove them. Lots of fun that day! clapping.gif

My first fish was a bluegill on a piece of corn. My first flyfishing would be a wooly bugger.

BFR

First fish on a fly rod was a nice male bluegill on a small red cork popper, cast on my K-Mart special South Bend fiberglass fly rod with South Bend automatic reel and silk line (the reel and line were a trade from my best friend's dad for a Poe's crankbait).

As far as FF for me it would be 25lb king Salmon in Oswego, NY on a estaz egg that I tied on my own. The first fish ever was back in Russia on a good old worm.

My first catch was a mallard on lunch meat...didn't fish again for 30 years.

My first fish on a fly was a 14" smallmouth on a #10 black woolly bugger. Sold me pretty darn quick.

Mine was a rainbow trout on a wooly bugger that I had tied the night before. I had casted the fly out and started stripping it in, then started yacking with my oldest son about something then I felt a tug and guess what was at the end of that line. Yep my first fish on a fly that I tied. So does that still count as a catch, since I was yacking with my son instead of concentrating on my fly? laugh.gif

Jim

A Big Thompson brook trout on a tiny red devil spoon in some fast, shallow water under a bridge. Might even have been a Snoopy rod/reel combo - I can't remember exactly. laugh.gif