Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
1st.YearTyer

Epoxy?

I would like to know what the alternatives to using 2 Part Epoxy are?I only tie up a few flies at a time that I would use the epoxy for and mixing up that quick-dry stuff is a real pain and waste.There must be other products fly-tyers use for flies like Poxy-back Nymphs or Salt-Water types?

sure there are alternatives to epoxy but they are EXPENSIVE. most of the goos out there are $40 and more including the uv light. then you have to overcoat these goos (even though they say they are "tack free" dont believe it)with sally hansens clear nail polish or equivalent.

mixing up the same batch of epoxy, you could use a longer setting epoxy and a drying wheel

get the uv knot sense from loon to make poxy back style flies

I would like to know what the alternatives to using 2 Part Epoxy are?I only tie up a few flies at a time that I would use the epoxy for and mixing up that quick-dry stuff is a real pain and waste.There must be other products fly-tyers use for flies like Poxy-back Nymphs or Salt-Water types?

I often use JB Weld -"QUICK"- and keep a pair of the tubes a my desk. It is far more water proof, drys in 5 minutes, but you have to allow for it to flow some in the first couple of minutes. BE SURE to get the "QUICK" formula. I too, use LOTs of Harder-Than-Nails. I keep several colors. But, even with the H.T.N. you need to work on several flys and let them be drying while you work on the next one. But even with that, I prefer the #100 Invisible, Harder-Than-Nails to any varnish or clear coat out there. I use the #210 Flirt for eyes on several flys. #210 is a deep dark black cherry.

After 30+ years of using it, I highly recommend Devcon 30 minute, or 2-Ton, epoxy. If you use hypodermic syringes to measure with, you can make up quantities as small as 1cc total. You can dilute it 1:1:1 with 70% isopropyl (rubbing ) alcohol at the time of measuring and make a 'water thin' solution that readily goes on with a brush. It dries hard and is gin-clear. I can mix up a batch in the time it took me to type this.

I coat all of my balsa bugs with such a mixture, as shown.

Clean-up is with the rubbing alcohol.

Also, if you mark your syringes, and keep them separated, they can be used over and over again.

perchjerker

post-8431-0-42268500-1314133368_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-40753300-1314133384_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-01197300-1314133400_thumb.jpg