Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rich Strolis

Meat Helmet Sculpin

That is an awesome fly! Loved the video of it in action!

Posted this on Facebook!

Thanks Rich,

That video was great.I really like the fish skulls,Need to get my hands on some of the sculpin helmets.Really I want go get all the stuff to tie up that fly.A big old bass would like to eat it.

Rich,

The pattern looks great. What exactly is body fur and where can I find it?

Rob

Rob,

all body fur is really, is a synthetic material like ice fur or antron that is chopped into about a 1 inch length with some flash thrown in then sewn together like chenille. They make 2 sizes of the stuff and it comes in a slew of colors. Google search it, I believe the guys at TCO flyshop have it in stock. Personally I like the white as you can color it to any color you wish as it takes marker well. Willy Self out in Montana turned me on to the stuff, glad he did as it is a very quick alternative to building shape to a fly.

I don't know what happened to my account, but I was denied access on the old name, guess I have to start from scratch..

Rich,

The pattern looks great. What exactly is body fur and where can I find it?

Rob

Rob,

all body fur is really, is a synthetic material like ice fur or antron that is chopped into about a 1 inch length with some flash thrown in then sewn together like chenille. They make 2 sizes of the stuff and it comes in a slew of colors. Google search it, I believe the guys at TCO flyshop have it in stock. Personally I like the white as you can color it to any color you wish as it takes marker well. Willy Self out in Montana turned me on to the stuff, glad he did as it is a very quick alternative to building shape to a fly.

I don't know what happened to my account, but I was denied access on the old name, guess I have to start from scratch..

Rich,

To bad about your account. Have you talked to Will about fixing it? Thanks for the information about the body fur. I have been looking for a great sculpin pattern and this looks like the trick. I like your videos.

great tie! that thing looks like it belongs there. I would imagine larger sized ones would work on Pike too. I happen to have some of bernats disco fur too. wonder if that would work?

marc

great tie! that thing looks like it belongs there. I would imagine larger sized ones would work on Pike too. I happen to have some of bernats disco fur too. wonder if that would work?

marc

Never seen the disco fur before, sounds interesting. Where can I find that? I'm always looking for alternatives and new stuff to play with..... Thanks for all the compliments on the videos, it means a lot and never gets old.