Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DHise

Some may call it cheating but....

I think the J:son System is awesome. Realistic flies that are simple and great looking. Simplifies the process for us that dont have the time to learn a new art.

308701_2270734737611_1525898179_2387284_1097602_n.jpg

Yep, cheating! ;-)

Flytying isn't supposed to be too easy...

LOL..... what he said, although I admit I use them and can't tie realistics any other way.

Steve

I think the J:son System is awesome. Realistic flies that are simple and great looking. Simplifies the process for us that dont have the time to learn a new art............

Nifty website. I hadn't known about it. They do make particularly neat looking flies. Their website does make use of the word "revolutionary." Which is a bit of a stretch. I (just for one example, there a many others) published a piece in Fly Fisherman, in 1991 I believe, that had the following fly:

Small-Pmd.jpg

...tied in a similar way. The above is not as neat and professional looking as theirs. But still largely the same fly--tied in much the same way. I got that idea (almost exactly 20 years ago now) from an article published in Rod and Reel, written by Chauncy Lively and John Betts. Also, for what little it's worth, their extended body mayfly dun is a big Hexagenia-like thing. The above is smaller, tied on a #20 scud hook. The big ones are a lot easier to make neat and tidy.

Finally. Extended bodies made with foam are handy. But you can use the same technique with other materials too, like a duck flank feather instead of foam. The trick there is to keep the "feather tail" from unraveling in use. To do that I tie the extended body on a wire, thin needle or taught string (take your pick), and then soak it in thinned-out water-based fabric cement. That way you still end up with a soft and flexible extended body. But it stays together too. I've made dubbed extended bodies too (dubbed over a feather tail) but they always end up too fat. At least for the smaller mayflies. Foam and feathers are the better choices.

Feathertail.jpg

Good looking fly. Even though it's cheating its expensive cheating! I just looked at their website and the materials are expensive!