Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Fall Ontario Chinooks

Well after seeing these fish in the urban shit stain complete with river hobo's and all sorts of interesting stuff going on. Yesterday's rain actually brought them onto the chew, they completely smashed purple ep minnows, and small shrimps, even to a point of them chasing down the fly after i had finished a swing. About 9 landed, much backing seen, the new rod works fantastic! And i didn't foul a single fish, all in all a good day of rod bending.

The urban poo streak

post-29540-0-81499600-1316563292_thumb.jpg

Just a little baby, boy did he go like a rocket tho, some very nice jumps and air!

post-29540-0-46977500-1316563328_thumb.jpg

Tried taking some foto's while fighting, but how does one reel!?

post-29540-0-55044100-1316563383_thumb.jpg

Bad pic here and he looks skinny which he certainly was not just a weird angle and his dark back, but size comparison, on my 8wt he came to the second guide.

post-29540-0-18706000-1316563438_thumb.jpg

Some kid dropped by while i landed one so i got him to try take a pic, just a lil' guy here

post-29540-0-29283400-1316563491_thumb.jpg

Ahh a couple more...

post-29540-0-43262200-1316563528_thumb.jpg

Ooo this guy was a hog, he decided to go way upstream and took a good 20 mins to subdue

post-29540-0-98490300-1316563551_thumb.jpg

Anyway, finally they were in the mood to chase down streamers and meaty flies swung, i need a camera built into my hat.

Thanks NJ! If you are ever up this way let me know. They sure know how to test the tackle, had 8-15lb fluoro strung up and on more than one occasion i got broken off (usually when grabbing the leader)...Lost a good batch of shiney new flies, which i will have to replace quickly for tomorrow. Then i guess wait for the steelhead to start moseying in. :D

Thanks NJ! If you are ever up this way let me know. They sure know how to test the tackle, had 8-15lb fluoro strung up and on more than one occasion i got broken off (usually when grabbing the leader)...Lost a good batch of shiney new flies, which i will have to replace quickly for tomorrow. Then i guess wait for the steelhead to start moseying in. :D

I'll let you know! You up in Canada eh? I'll have to get a passport first.

Yup an Aussie who has been up here in Canoedlia for around 8 years now B) And who has been enjoying the amount of fly fishing!

Yeah i heard you guys need a passport now!? Was up in Niagara Falls on the weekend playing texas hold em' and i noticed a rather large decline in Americans, i guess its also expensive now with the dollar, so it makes more sense for them to stay on the US side.

Yup an Aussie who has been up here in Canoedlia for around 8 years now B) And who has been enjoying the amount of fly fishing!

Yeah i heard you guys need a passport now!? Was up in Niagara Falls on the weekend playing texas hold em' and i noticed a rather large decline in Americans, i guess its also expensive now with the dollar, so it makes more sense for them to stay on the US side.

Yep i think to get a passport now is about $150 (i could be wrong). I was gonna get one a few years ago so we could go on fishing trips to Canada but i was about 14, and once your turn 16 you need to get a new one. So i never did get around to it. I have always wanted too.

According to Charlie at Tight Lines Fly Shop in De Pere, Wi they are just starting the run there. We went to the Kewaunee hatchery and watched some of them trying to get home in the hatchery. What an impressive fish! I can only imagine (because I ran out of time) what it is like to catch one on a fly rod. Must be an incredible rush!

- Charlie

chinook are a hoot-that said, chinook are masters at finding the heavy current and stayng there, so you have to be prepared to lose a few. I watched a fella on the vedder river near vancouver. I had hooked it earlier and it just went to the current and stayed there. It blew his rod apart when he tried to horse it. the next guy who caught got it in and it was a big, black chinook that was about 40-50 pds. the harrison river out there gets what are known as white chinooks(they eat herring only-no shellfish) and they can be absolute brutes. I was fishing pinks once there and one swam by my legs that likely went 60pds. scared the crap out of me. nice fish you have there.

marc

According to Charlie at Tight Lines Fly Shop in De Pere, Wi they are just starting the run there. We went to the Kewaunee hatchery and watched some of them trying to get home in the hatchery. What an impressive fish! I can only imagine (because I ran out of time) what it is like to catch one on a fly rod. Must be an incredible rush!

- Charlie

These brutes are just about closed now up here, its pretty much the last week of Ontario open pacific salmon before most rivers and/ or sections close. Was out on a different river on Saturday (huron trib), these fish were smaller but full of crazy antics! Absolute madness, had one on that jumped right in front of my eyes about 4 times and i am 6 foot 2!!! Then it just went on a burning run upstream to the backing before breaking with ease 10lb tippet. Lost two great rainbows early during their air borne antics.

Still heaps of fresh fish coming in, my formula has become quite simple...Wait for the run, wait for a day of rain, go out the next day and the males will be aggro towards anything infront of their face, also after the rain they will settle in the pools, not just at the heads in the whitewater where they get all spooky and moody. Always, always tick the bottom with a swung streamer. They hate purple!

On Saturday took the time for a hike up to the dam just to watch, the pool below was stacked and some of these 30lb beasts were trying to jump a concrete dam, lets just say the 'smack' of 30lb's of muscle hitting concrete makes quite the sound!

NJ All Day, i see you are just a young un! Great to see you guys on the water! Had a good chat with a kid the other day, he seemed completely dialed in and had a great conversation with him about what was going down, i was damn impressed, what talent. Happy B'day for the other day!

One thing flyderaght said which rings true, they are masters in heavy current, and do not horse them, just hold on and laugh until u get the chance to gain some line, side pressure, change it, set him off balance, if he runs, let him! Let him go, just hang on and grin. I could not image these beasts up to 90lb's as is the record up in skeena! Thats just Jurassic!

On the fraser river there are a few that get caught every year that are 70-80 pds, they just never get talked about, usually gear though. a friend years back did some diving on some remote rivers on vancouver island. he saw loads of big big chinook that had hooks,lures hanging off them. to big for most sporties. rivers inlet, which is about 45 miles from the top end of the island has always gotten massive fish. when the big boys are about, 20-30 pd chinook were thrown back. not now mind you. every year there are fishers who get into big chinook for 4-5hrs and never see them. I got into a monster there once and it sat and did not move. it straightened a 2/0 single hook out. the lodge figured 65-75 pds.

marc

Still have not seen any 80lb models, but considering i am only running up to 20lb tippet and usually 8 or 10lb it doesn't surprise me...Did see a big one today that had a pink egg hooked to his back and about 3 hooks in his mouth, the poor beggar!

Oh well i am just messing with minnows in comparison, today they loved a chartreuse EP minnow, even the hens thought it was a tasty snack to pounce on, i better tie some more of them for next season, for me that's it, no more salmon! I need a rest! And most of my rivers close on the 30th. Just sit back and wait for steel. Landed 5 chinooks today, and two mini bows. Here is a pic of one of the hens chewing the all chartreuse EP.

post-29540-0-56845100-1317346886_thumb.jpg post-29540-0-50993800-1317346970_thumb.jpg