Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyer166

nymphing

i have been fly fishing for 6 or 7 years now and ive always been a dry fly and streamer fisherman. i have tried nymphing, but with no success. i dont think i have a clue of how to do it an di was wondering if you guys had some pointers about nymphing or some good information for me to read to try to figure out nymphing.

Thanks for your help,

MG

up here i like to use 9' to my first fly, right now it is always a wire SJW. Then about a foot between each fly after that. The "thing-a-mabob" is by far the BEST indicator you can get IMHO. Look for the deep titty water after a run and cast away. Add or remove weight as necessary.

i like to string my flies from heaviest to lightest so that they can move and "dance" in the water column with out puling each other.

hope this helps

I was asked to write the FAQS for Flyfish@, the first internet fly fishing group back in the 1990's. Although I wrote in back in 1996, it is still ranked by Google as the 6th result when Nymphing is searched. Unfortunately consumer digital photography had just been invented and I could not include photos. Hopefully you will still find it helpful.

Google Search

Nymphing FAQ

My Other FAQs

I think the easiest way to get started is to use a single fly with a strike indicator. Most rivers and streams will have midges. I'd try a black zebra midge with a tungsten bead tied on 6x or 5x if you can get away with it. Use a small strike indicator. Set the indicator the distance of the depth of the water you are fishing to the fly. Cast at a 45 degree angle up stream and drift it to about a 45 degree angle downstream. Try to keep your fly line drifting behind or parallel to the indicator so as not to impart drag. If your indicator stops/goes underwater/or does anything that the current isn't doing, SET THE HOOK. My motto is "Hook Sets are cheap. They don't cost a thing."

If the midge doesn't work, try a scud or Pheasant Tail or Hares Ear or any other pattern that matches the hatch in your stretch of water. Experiment with it and have fun!!

daddyO's advice is sound, but i'd recommend a bit more distance between strike indicator and the midge, maybe 1.5x the depth of water, to start. 'thingamabobbers' are excellent strike indicators, escpecially white, orange and yellow. midge takes are really light - any irregularity in the strike indicator and SET!! i usually go tandem - a bigger stimulator (egg, san juan worm, etc), then about 18" of tippet and the midge. rig would be: indicator, 1.5x depth of water leader, split shot, 1st bug (stimulator of some sort), 18" of tippet to the midge. watch your indicator and make sure it is not moving any faster than the bubbles on top the water - you want a totally dead drift. any movement and set!

Nymphing is an interesting game and can be very rewarding. You need to make lots of casts and cover water. Keep your ear on the railroad tracks (finger on the fly line), the strikes can be very subtle. Fish each hole thoroughly and well, and move on. Pick just a couple of flies, maybe a scud, a midge, and say...soft hackle hare's ear, and stick to those, it can be really tempting to just keep switching nymphs because you are not seeing anything, it's easier to judge if the fly is correct when you throw dries. Try your best to pick a fly and fish it well. If you hit a really fishy spot and get several refusals, then switch. But more often then not, presentation is the problem. Good luck!